New Headpipes on an '82 Heritage special?

Wdavery

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I just got a 1982 Heritage Special and I found a fracture at the top of the right headline under the collar at the engine. Is that a concern?
Also if I wanted/needed new head pipes would sohc 650 pipes fit?

Thanks,
Wyatt

xs650 pipes will not work. Post a pic of the crack so we can see what you are talking about.

They look like the same part. But I guess not.

I'll upload a pic tomorrow when I'm working on the bike again. I can explain it abut more now though. The head pipes are double walled or whatever the proper terminology is, and the outer pipe is cracked all the way around about an inch from the end. The end has a cm of play before the inner pipe stops it.

Hi, newbie here. Just acquired an 81 XS Special II a few weeks ago and have been working to get it roadworthy. The bike was not in bad shape, just needed some TLC. Added new rear tire and tube, new plugs, sync'd the carbs, cleaned, touched up paint, etc. I had the same problem with the left side headpipe. It was cracked about half way around, just below the double tube. I had it tig welded with stainless rod by a friend and it worked out great. We weren't able to get he weld completely smooth but it isn't too noticeable. Good luck with yours

give the weld a shot. i turned a set of 4 into 2s into a set of pipes with a flux core wire welder didnt turn out to bad

Back