New here, gonna be around.

Noodles

Noodles racing
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I am looking to build myself a little cafe racer type ripper outta a xs 400 special I'm buying off C.L. just wondering how tough it is to get parts for this bike and what will fit for new age stuff with minor modification. I am a crafty fabricator with a machinist in my corner so I'm not too worried about making whatever I come up with work. What can you do to squeeze every bit of power out of these engines? I will be around so I'm sure a lot of my questions have already been discussed in the forum.

Welcome Noodles. I'm pretty new to the XS400 group, so I'm still learning as well, but parts are still reasonably available for the 400. There are even some parts from the 650 that are interchangeable. Things are a little tougher to find than say the CB550 or CB750's but they're still out there, I guess it all depends on what you need. Ebay is a great source for used stuff and hard pieces that are no longer sold from dealers. I can't speak much for US sites since I'm in Canada, but MikesXS.net has a decent selection of stuff.

Add on or "universal" stuff is what you find for these bikes for the most part. Real and necessary parts are hard to find. Crank bearings, cams, new carb bodies, oversize pistons and rings at a reasonable price are long gone. Most major motor stuff really. Stuff can be found if you are willing to put $$$ up but that's it. As for performance, You will get the most overall power/torque out of a well tuned stock bike. I have run all kinds of pods and used free flowing 2-1 exhausts and 2-2 free flow exhaust, 2-2 77-79 stock exhaust and 80-82 exhaust with the cross over pipe. I have found the 80-82 exhaust pull the best over all rpm ranges.
As for carbs I have used 76-77 xs360 carbs, 77-79 xs400 and 80-82 xs400. I like the 76-77 xs360 the most. The are easier to tune and run richer than the xs400's type. Problem with those are they are hard to find and parts are long gone. I run three of my five xs400's with them. Luckily I picked up a bunch of spare parts over the years as well as a few extra sets.

Thanks xsChris that is the type of stuff I need to hear. Good info and glad you are willing to give it. To be honest I have not bought the bike yet, but it has like only 1,800mi. On it and it has sat outside for a while. Dude says he putts around on it from time to time so I know it runs at least! He wants $500 for it. I was figurin on making a little cafe out of it. If it is still avail. I will pick it up this week. I will prob. Keep the motor pretty much stock, but will run 2-2 straight pipes (for looks really). Rebuild the carbs. And run open frame with clamp on filters from mikesXS (again, pretty much for looks) I know that I will not be getting wild amounts of power out of an old 400 motor anyway so why go thru the trouble! I will get that from some other build later. I will post pics of the bike when(if) I get it and everyone will laugh and see how much work I really have cut out for me...glutton for punishment I guess! :lmao:

Mikesxs pods are crap and straight pipes will make the bike run even worse. If the bike is for "show" then that's up to you. I would drive the bike as a stock bike for a while before cutting it up. If the bike has those few miles you may want to sell off the parts you don't want before cutting them up as many people could use them. Post some pics of the bike.

I am picking the bike up on wed. I will post pics. Any parts that come off it I will most likely sell off. I know it is a dumb question, but what do you mean by pods? Air filters?
The only stupid question is one that is not asked. I will be doing quite a bit of work to this bike even if it does remain stock, which I can say most likley won't happen. I am going to need to clean and rebuild the carbs. And that is something I am sure I will need help with! Where can you get jets and needles? Or viton rings and seals? All I have seen so far is MikesXS but I'm sure there is more out there. Anyway, when I get the bike I will probably launch a few different threads on what I am trying to do so as to get any advice from anyone on here that is willing to help the new guy!
Thanks, the noodle man.

You said clamp on filter from mikesxs. I would keep the stock H-pipe that clamps to the carbs and put uni foam filters at the ends to them if you want a "open" box look. Easier to tune than putting filters directly on these type carbs. Ebay has good deals on rebuild kits. Just make sure to get the ones for your year bike.

I will be picking the bike up tomorrow night. Will post pics. As soon as I can and will start in on what I want to do with it. The tank needs to be cleaned out and the carbs. Need cleaning. New rubber, and spark plugs would not hurt ethier. Probably a chain too...Oh yeah, and the gas cap is broken I guess...and on and on and on....
OH BOY WHAT AM I GETTING MYSELF INTO!!:doh::laugh:

Back