New Member. Need help on identifying model :)

Barnhawk

Motorbike Nooby
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am about to buy a Xs400 from my mate for $250 it was recently registered and the only problem that I have seen is a broken clutch lever which is an easy fix. I was just wondering if you could help me identify it and to check that it is worth the $250 I am paying for it :)

I'm in Australia if that makes a difference.

21lrdrt.jpg

Welcome to the forum:) That's a dohc xs400 and for $250 that's a great deal:thumbsup: The vin number will help with the exact year and model you have.

Thanks for the reply :)
Im not to sure on the mileage/kms driven.
Its been stored for about a year so is there anything I should really check? I saw it for about half an hour last Friday and noticed the clutch lever was broken and it wasn't as clean (didn't expect it to be). It has a little bit of rust on the exhaust and it just needs a general clean up.
I should be spending more time with it this Friday and starting her up.

Keep in mind Im relatively new to motorbikes :)

... :) I'm in Australia if that makes a difference.
Hi and welcome to the Forum. If you're in Australia, shouldn't there be an extra zero on the price of a good used xs400?
... I should be spending more time with it this Friday and starting her up. Keep in mind Im relatively new to motorbikes :)
Before you even think of trying to start it, drain ALL the old gas out. Ideally, take the tank off and flush out the interior with some fresh gas. Then buy and install a $3 in-line fuel filter - again, BEFORE trying to start it.
If you can do so in OZ, avoid ethanol gas.

Then, everything you do should result in improvement as long as you don't over-torque and break anything. The manual which you can download at the top of the GARAGE section here is for your exact model, so between now and Friday it would be good to read at least the routine maintenance sections.

Ask any questions on here that come to mind. We may all be geniuses now, but some of us were complete dummies not long ago. Believe me, my tag line (below) was earned!

Here's a great place to start - well worth reading before you jump ahead in your excitement and end up simply creating avoidable, owner-inflected maintenance opportunities - http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595

Yeah it's a Seca, but has non original exhaust.
I thought the exhaust wasnt stock :). Thanks for clarifying that.

Hi and welcome to the Forum. If you're in Australia, shouldn't there be an extra zero on the price of a good used xs400?

Before you even think of trying to start it, drain ALL the old gas out. Ideally, take the tank off and flush out the interior with some fresh gas. Then buy and install a $3 in-line fuel filter - again, BEFORE trying to start it.
If you can do so in OZ, avoid ethanol gas.

Then, everything you do should result in improvement as long as you don't over-torque and break anything. The manual which you can download at the top of the GARAGE section here is for your exact model, so between now and Friday it would be good to read at least the routine maintenance sections.

Ask any questions on here that come to mind. We may all be geniuses now, but some of us were complete dummies not long ago. Believe me, my tag line (below) was earned!

Here's a great place to start - well worth reading before you jump ahead in your excitement and end up simply creating avoidable, owner-inflected maintenance opportunities - http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595

Wow thanks so much! I have little to no knowledge of these things. Im not sure on the costs of XS400's but I know Im getting a bargain! Trying to get into the scene and there is a lot of information overload. I shall do you what you have suggested so I dont unintentionally damage her. Thanks again! I just got my motorbike learners last week so I am really keen to go for a ride haha.

Yup welcome to the Seca club :) Looks like you got a sweet deal!

I agree 82-84 Seca, that's also knows as a xs400r. It has a 6-speed DOHC engine and is mechanically very similar to the Maxim, the xs400j (which has 5 speed and different styling). Parts will often interchange with the maxim, but not with any of the earlier models of the xs400.

Also it looks like your seat has been re-upholstered (that's not the original stitching, but that's a good thing, with a bike this age the original would have ripped by now). Also your handlebars are not stock I think, these look like euro bars (I have similar bars) and give a little more active, leaned forward riding position. Also the windshield is a nice aftermarket option, as is the luggage rack. Those are also not on the stock bike, but I think yamaha supplied them back in the day. Also I agree on the non-stock exhaust.

Enjoy :) and yes go through my how-to !

Most xs400 maxim items will fit (definitely the mechanicals, not the styling) and other than that the parts should be for 82-84 xs400r or xs400 seca. But what parts did you have in mind? seems like you have most of them ;)

Im after a clutch lever and both mirrors as they need replacing. Apart from that Im not sure on what I will need. Draining her and flushing her out on Saturday so I will know what to get etc then.

The handles are interchangeable in terms of attaching them onto the bars however, the shape of he Maxim handle is very different from the Seca one, though both are DOHCs. The Seca's handle angles out away from the bar to a greater extent.

I can't tell from the e-bay pic which bike the lever is from so if you care about it matching your other one you may want to inquire. If you have short fingers like I do, you will prefer the lever if it is from a Maxim in spite of it not matching.

Looks like the right lever for your seca. It's true what Lou says about the maxim lever, but if I were you I'd keep the stock Seca lever, then you definitely won't run into any problems like the clutch not fully disengaging. They both fit, but the angles are a little different. Look around on US eBay to see the difference, it's quite distinct.

I think so actually, definitely the clutch lever will fit. Engine parts will be different, but the styling is very much the same. My guess is they used the same frame and styling setup, just a slightly smaller engine

Alright cheers.
I rung my local bike wreckers and he said that he has two XS250RK 1982 models and he stated that they use all the same parts it just has a smaller motor. Thought I would ask you guys just to make sure. :)

I'm not giving out any guarantees as I've never actually seen the xs250rk in the flesh (or steel) but my guess is that they are correct

Yeah its tough finding what parts fit and what doesnt tbh especially in Australia.

my clutch lever is a bit "wobbly" but I haven't replaced it yet purely cause I can't be sure the one I have will fit the setup I have. I made the mistake of trying a new lever which didnt fit my assembly, and then a whole new assembly that didn't have enough "pull" (the clutch would hit on the controls).

Edit: having said that I just emailed the guy from your link to see if he has one of these in black :p

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLUTCH-L...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2c4154bb

Last edited:
Back