New to the forum but certainly not to bikes

MoMo

Ride Like You Are Invisible
Reaction score
Recently worked on a 1982 Yamaha Seca XS400RJ (at least I think that is the correct nomenclature-it is a DOHC 400). I became somewhat fond of its fugliness while working on it and decided to buy it from my customer for the tidy sum of $300. Well, after cleaning carbs, removing mouse nest from air box, token cleaning of tank(still needs more work), new battery, straightening bent forks, repairing wire harness and Lord knows what else it fired right up. Did a short test ride around the block, applied the rear brake and the pads quickly separated from the shoe(fortunately no damage to me or the bike). Rebuilt master cylinder , caliper and installed new rear brakes as well as tires I started using the Seca to commute to and from work( 5 miles each way). Fun little bike it is. However, there is a valve tap. Which leads to a question, any known source of shims?

Bit about me:
Bought my first bike when I was stationed at Eglin AFB back in 1967-a small Harley Hummer basket case. Put it together with the help of a fellow airman, Jim Qualls. Most likely have owned close to 50 bikes and restored the same amount for customers. Keeps me occupied after my wife passed away ten years ago.

Worked as a motorcycle mechanic and service manager when discharged. Other careers include photographer, photo lab owner, bartender, janitor, photography teacher, sales and supervisor at Home Depot.

Hopefully this is the right thread for topic....Larry
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG

In the words of ELP, "Oh what a lucky man he was"... Could have been disastrous

Welcome to the forum,nice to see more DOHCs on here, I saw some shim kits on ebay Bay, but I would think that a dealer could help with that...

Kawasaki KLR 650 shims work and are easy to get. There are shim kits available if you'd like to have an assortment on hand. Try to get a kit with thinner shims, as that is typically what you will need.

Not that the valves need adjusting very often. I doubled the inspection interval when I found no change was required for 3 consecutive inspections.

Back