New to the XS400!

So I've been working on a bunch of other stuff, but steadily collecting parts for the XS. 18" alloy rims, perfect forks with disc setup, front rear caliper/discs, disc setup swingarm, caliper rebuild kits, an XS750 tank and some Bridgestone BT45's are on the way. We've made some good progress lately. I showed my buddy, Tim, who is getting the bike when it is done...how to polish aluminum by wetsanding. So whilst he sands away, I have painted the wheels...torched/hammered tank to fit over the frame...and made front mounts for the 750 tank. The tank is dented to hell, but the inside is great and it was only $50 shipped. The polishing is still mostly in the 220-320 grit stages. Pics:
polished_parts.jpg

...lots more left.
xs_400.jpg

...polished the lips and spoke edges, taped, and painted. turned out nice...still trying to convince Tim that we should drill the rotors!
oldmounts-1.jpg

...the XS750 tank mounts differently, just the opposite in fact. on the 400...the little rubber pucks go on the tank, the 750 had the pucks on the frame. So I drilled out the spot welds on the old mounts, yanked them off and made new mounts from some scrap tubing and welded them on. Still need to grind the welds back a bit.
tank_mounts.jpg

The pucks now fit onto the frame and the 750 tank slips right on (well, after a little help of a torch/hammer to the rear of the tank)
... I think the tank looks awesome, especially since the bike will have just a tach, and clipons.
XS_tank.jpg

Also, I would like to make a semi custom exhaust. I was thinking about using the old pipes and cutting the headers off, using the mounts/flanges and first bend. then using some flat tubing and a prebent piece to make a 2 into 1 system. However, I am having trouble finding a collector for a decent price. Anybody make their own? Thanks...hope you like the progress. -Joe

Okkkkkay so I found coneeng.com and WOW, some very nice exhaust parts for good prices. I'm thinking a raw stainless 2 into 1.

f6cc6000.jpg

36b13cd6.jpg

Well, still chipping away at this project. We converted to cast wheels... Spent a lot of time polishing and Repainting them. Also made a custom fiberglass seat, ( which u have a mold for... Hope to sell a few in the future...the seat can be made to look drastically different, that's just his we chose to trim it, real short).

In this pic we trying to figure out rearsets placement by using a wood template for the bracket. The rear sets are going to be very nice.

Will try to update more.

Bump for updates? Really interested in this build.

Also, PM'ed you a few questions, but I'll just put them in here:

I'm building a 1980 special myself and just bought an XS750 tank for it. Is everything you did pretty much what was self explanatory in the pics?

Also, saw the pics of you on the bike and wondering how tall you are. I'm 6'2 and I'm starting to feel like once everything is stripped down I'm going to look like a bear on a tricycle.

Back