New xs400 cafe build

Bad company customs

Bad company customs
Reaction score
New to this site, just picked up a 81 xs400 for $400 not running, apparently the PO did new rings but didn't lock tite the cam sprocket bolts and they came out and the bike stalled. I have found 1 bolt laying beside a valve but haven't got the second one, I imagine it's in the bottom of the motor. Plan is to rebuild the motor and make a cool little cafe out of this bike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 199
Thanks guys, so right now the bike is at a buddies as I don't have a place to keep it at the moment. I do take the tank home and started to have some fun with a hammer. I found a thread in this site on how to dish a tank and it was a huge help.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 193
Thanks, it's fairly smooth, I have a bit more hammering to do then some holes to fill where the badging was. I'm sure if you spent the time and hammered it a bit nicer then cleared it, it would be cool.

Might have to consider that when I get to the tank-mods stage. I was thinking about a bare-metal stripe outlined by solid paint. Looking forward to seeing this progress :)

Well I got the bike over to my parents shed for right now to work on it, got the motor out, head and jug are off, still no sign of the infamous missing cam sprocket bolt, I sent a text to the PO and asked if maybe he only put 1 bolt in ?? He replied that it "was a possibility"...... REALLY ??? So what do I do ? I have to split the cases to go any farther. Is it that hard ? Never gone that far before. Only done top ends in bikes. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 168
This is how the bike is now, chopped the rear, made a hoop out of the old luggage rack, taped it on to see if I like it. Getting there, happy so far haha.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 200
I did drop the oil, pulled the plug on the bottom of the motor, and the plug on the side. Where is the sump pump located ? Still waiting on my manual and I'm not near the motor at the moment to look hahah.

Posted via Mobile

There is a plate on the bottom with six hex head bolts in it. That is your sump cover. Be careful with them as they can be easy to snap off.

Ok thanks xschris, I will look into that tomo, but what makes me thin there is only one bolt is that the wear marks on the cam sprocket are only around 1 hole. So if there was 2 there would be scoring all the way around ? Who knows lol. Thanks though for the help. I'll keep posting as I progress.

Posted via Mobile

Welcome. I really like the work you did on the tank.

A suggestion- your photos would be much more enjoyable to look at if you held your phone horizontal when you take the pictures. Then they would be posted right side up. Just a thought.

Looking forward to how you progress.

Back