No Spark People, I have joined your ranks!

arfstrom

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
It seems I am in the same boat with the no sparks people. I have two TCI's, and the engine turns over just the same, but no spark. I just changed the plugs/wires/caps. I have ordered replacement coils, but so far nothings working. I have rotated one out, no change.

I drained the fuel tank into the car fuel tank, just to get some 100% gas (no corn sryup this time) Just incase, then before I did that, I cleaned my carbs before doing all that. Last time it fired up right after the rebuild, then I went to check TCI's, (i swapped them from the good one to test the old one) and it seem to work that one time. I shut it off, and went to bed, then it didn't start the next day. The battery has been on a battery tender all winter, till now. (still on)

I have a spark checker, from oriely's auto store. I have yet to see a spark. I have tried both TCI's, and neither did any for the pair of coils I have their. I have more coils, it seems I was worried about trashing my original pair.

I have been following the other no spark people, I just figured I will get my case out there, and see if there is a "No sh1T" :doh: you for got this didn't you? All right
Tobie

Last edited:
After spending hours going thou our forum, I am thinking its got to be some sort of grounding issue.

Coils report 3ohms between the secondary/primary wires (top two) and I think it was 8k ohms out the plug wire. (which seems to be in spec)

Last time it was running, as short as I ran it, both TCI's worked.

Starter works. (thank god) I can't image kicking it.

Battery is on a tender, and is fully charged (green light on tender) 12.5v per mmeter.

At this stage of the game, Stator/VR/Rectifier dont mean anything until it runs. So that brings us to a connector that isn't playing well, or perhaps the Powder coating is blocking some amps? The Chrome bolts should be fine for creating a ground path, the Ground post next to battery, I did sand the area. perhaps I need to touch it up again?

This stage of the game includes Safey relay, on/off/off switch, key switch, Battery, TCI, Coils, timing device.

Yup, The Ideal is that ever literature states don't run the engine with out the plugs in place. So I have been pulling the plug and running the e-start for a cycle or two, and there is no spark jumping. The Spark checker is just a do dad thing that plugs onto the spark plug, has a bowl with a light in it, and when the spark hits, it lights up. (I was trying to modify it to fit the screw head, but now that I got new caps, I don't need to modify it anymore. I had gotten one for about $15 bucks I think, it looks like this, but not so many accessories
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_N0221_1037483_-1&pt=N0221&ppt=C0371

Kicking it, I was just saying that the kicking part would be so much more disappointing, if it didn't start. My last time I had it running, I thought the starter was dead, one kick, and it came to life. this time, maybe 2 months later, nothing. and that is after I cleaned the starter button, and brought life to my button, and here my system has no spark. gotta be some sort of ground issue, perhaps I can put in some washers with the spikes, that dig into the metal, or something like that.

New symptom, the coils are getting voltage on both the secondary/primary. I kinda thought would be a trigger line.

Okay, I solved:bike: this one. after looking all over the internet for hints on how the TCI works, and the Coils, I tripped into the last linked listed. I then thought I need to check the PICKUP. I took the cover off, and the pickup bolt was loose. I tighten it up, and away I went.

http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/IgnitionFAQ.html Great FAQ, not for the our bike, but the info is vary valuable. Apply as it make sense.

extra useful info (for CDI) not the 80-new bikes.
http://www.dansmc.com/cdiignition.htm

After story, my rocker pin fell out while I was working on this. I will make a note of this on the what I did today, and see if the mainstream people have any pointers on this.
Tobie

Sorry about the quality of the video, I was excited! now 3...2...1...
one of these 2 links should work, Spark checker worked, and the bike

Attachments

• coil pickup.jpg
    coil pickup.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 197
Awesome! If you rocker pin came out on the left side of the bike, it was because you need to have that cover over the pickup to keep them in:wink2:

Okay, guys, I went from no spark, to running, then finding out there really wasn't a spark on the left cylinder. After trying a different coil, TCI, with same effects, I noticed that my sparkplug was sparking wierd. I expected a spark at the end, but mine was sparking at the screw zone. So I replaced the plug, and tried to run the engine off the one plug, and it worked. Hope that helps someone.
Tobie

I think I found Squeeky. the intake boots, outgas's making a squeeky sound. I was able to tighten one of the screws, I will have to remove my tank to get to the other one. (cross fingers) It still squeeks, but I have to go to school, so tomorrow, I can take the carbs off.

my dreaded case, if that doesn't fix squeeky, I will take off the stator cover tomorrow, (I guess, If I have too) (think Red/Green show Man's prayer motto)

Back