1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Not sure how to mount the seat

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Joe Gagliardi, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Joe Gagliardi

Joe Gagliardi XS400 Member

NY
    Hey Guys,

I purchased a 1980 xs400 and the previous owner chopped the tail pieces off and I don’t have anything to mount the seat to. The seat that they gave me just sorta sits in the two slots in front of the battery. Without welding, what do I do?

2. short1

short1 XS400 Addict

When i made mine i embedded some super strong magnets in the seat going along the crossbrace. No problems so far

3. Joe Gagliardi

NY
    That’s a really good idea. I was gonna use Velcro

4. short1

short1 XS400 Addict

I thought about using the 3m dual lock velcro but was worried about how well it would stay glued down through the seasons.

5. NewHavenMike

NewHavenMike 1976 XS360C Top Contributor

I made my seat pan with a tab that extended forward and mounts on the gas tank post. I drilled two holes in the cross beam between the shocks and used that too.

6. There's a lot prior owners of mine have done that is questionable. But I am quite impressed with this seat mounting (see pic). Slides in and then screws drop in the back holes (holding seat upside down in pic)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  7. Joe Gagliardi

NY
    That’s pretty cool, I’m probably gonna go with magnets like the other guy suggested but if that doesn’t work I’ll try that. I really dig that seat

8. XSLeo

XSLeo XS400 Junkie

All good answers, I was going to say something more along the lines of "most of us just walk up and throw a leg over to mount our seats" Wasn't sure how many would find the humor in that though.
    Leo

short1 and buztabuzt like this.