Oil Drain Plug

chirotrout

Chirotrout
Reaction score
Hello forum. I was just given a 1978 xs400. It runs OK and needs some help but to get around town with a little work I think it will be a fun bike. I have owned other bikes but never this old but I have done some maintenance before. My first question it this. The oil drain plug was severely striped by the previous owner so I tried to get it off with vise grips which only further destroyed the bolt. So just to make sure the drain plug isn't counter threaded on the 1978 model is it? This bolt is very stuck! Any ideas on how to get it out and how to get another plug once out?:shrug:

Hello forum. I was just given a 1978 xs400. It runs OK and needs some help but to get around town with a little work I think it will be a fun bike. I have owned other bikes but never this old but I have done some maintenance before. My first question it this. The oil drain plug was severely striped by the previous owner

if its stripped, does that means it just turns and not unscrews?
so I tried to get it off with vise grips which only further destroyed the bolt. So just to make sure the drain plug isn't counter threaded on the 1978 model is it? This bolt is very stuck! Any ideas on how to get it out and how to get another plug once out?:shrug:

not counter threaded, and there are lots of bolts out there to replace if you get the thread helicoiled.

Sorry for the confusion. No the bolt won't turn. I can get a great hold on it with the grips but no mater what I try it just strips the head of more. I think the last owner may have cross threaded it in there and just left it. May have to drill it out.

If you have the ability, I'd tack weld a 2 foot bar onto it where there is room to swing, then after it starts moving, cut it off and finish taking the plug out.

:agree: on the helicoil. That's how I fixed mine after being an idiot for a second. I think the kit I got was meant for spark plug holes, but worked like a charm and was only ~$25. I'd let you borrow it, but I don't think it's worth the trip for it!

Note to all current xs400 owners (on behalf of the future owners): 17mm, not the closest SAE you can find. DO NOT use a Crescent (adjustable) wrench....or a pipe wrench, or Channel Locks or Vise Grips (unless already boogered up). Use a GOOD box end wrench of a SIX POINT socket on the drain plug.

We all thank you.

Any luck Drewpy?

It was a pita to get it out of mine, luckily it was not to badly striped and a spanner and a rubber mallet get it free :thumbsup:

Could use it again but I will get one on order

A pipe wrench will take it out if you can get it to fit as far as reach is concerned. This type of wrench grips harder the more you turn on it.Then get a bolt and replace it if the threads aren't buggered up,if so then helicoil as others have suggested. lha

Back