oil drip from clutch cover ?

neil

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My bike leaks about a drip or two a day. It seems to run along the 2 loomed wires (alternator wires?) , Possibly coming from under the clutch cover. Unfortunately I wiped it away, but the two black wires in the pictures were oily.

After finding a bunch of crud in behind the clutch cover, I cleaned it out and will try to see where its coming from next time it leaks.

If anyone has any input for finding the leak, or has seen this before, please let me know.

Thank you.
20190529_093025.jpg

20190529_093035.jpg
20190529_093107.jpg

The clutch pushrod seal is known to tear and leak, eventually will spray oil like a faucet.. ask me how I know.

While youre at it, check to make sure the pushrod is straight and then clean and smooth it out with sandpaper/scotchbrite.

Thats if the leak is at that seal.

Lot of what you see is from chain sling. The alt. wires grommet tends to leak also. Just clean everything and see where the majority comes from. That area of the bike will never stay clean and free of oil just because of the chain. So keep that in mind.

Thats not even bad lol.

Be careful with the new seal. It tears very easily and thats $15 wasted. I lightly grease the pushrod and make sure theres not a single burr on it.

Find a socket the same diameter as the seal and tap it in slightly.

Ive used a very thin line of Yamabond and also skipped that added insurance and havent had any leaks from the OD. I mainly used the sealant to prevent the seal from blowing out of the engine.

Great, Thank you!
I will ride it a bit and see where its coming from, if anywhere at all, thinking about it I did recently clean the chain a few times (which was awful, after 10 yrs in storage) and oiled it. It may just be the extra oil slinging off...

The input is appreciated.

While your in there check the front sprocket nut. They can be loose. If so oilcan seep out between sprocket and spacer that goes through the seal.
Leo

It's where the wires go into the motor. It's also called a grommet. They almost always leak.
DSC03714.JPG After some yamabond. You would have to cut the wires and find something to replace it with as it was a non-replaceable part.

It's what I have done in the past. Of the five bikes I have run 4 needed this fix and even after many years and miles it still has held up well. That area of the bike sees a lot of oil sling from the chain and a lot of places for oil to leak. Keeping it clean and clear is not going to happen on a bike that gets ridden.

When was the last time you oiled the chain?

If the answer is not lately and with as wet as the drive sprocket I agree it could be a loose drive sprocket nut, it was the case on my bike. If that doesn't dry things up I'd suspect the seal on the drive output shaft. Mine was shot. I bought the seal and the collar it rides on but was able to salvage the collar with careful sanding with 600 and 2000 grit sandpaper.

Thanks sandmanred,
I've cleaned it up and with the amount that dripping, I'd assume I'd see it coming from the sprocket, but its dry.
I'll plug the alternator grommet hole and see. If that does not work I'll do what you say and replace the sprocket seal.

Last edited:
Back