Oil leak

Rak8986

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 1980 xs400 special.

Sorry if this has been answered or asked in another post but I am having a small bit of oil seeping from clutch pushrod seal. It's not a major leak of any sorts, it's only a small build up at the bottom of the engine behind the shifter. My question is, is replacing the seal on the pushrod hard or should I just leave it go and put a little heavier of an oil in. The oil level is great on the bike and I am not having any problems with it.

Also I've noticed a small bit of oil seeping out of the tach cable where it meets the engine (sorry for not knowing tech terms I am new to owning and working on motorcycles). Again it's only a tiny bit of seeping should I worry about replacing it right away or should I just let it go since its not affecting the oil level at all.

Thanks for any advice

As to the clutch rod seal, it's not a hard job, but you could leave it alone too. I just replaced it myself. The longest part of the job was cleaning the oil off. After removing the pushrod, I used a bent flat screwdriver to pry the seal out. I then slipped the new seal over a torx head screwdriver small enough to fit inside it loosely, and used the handle to pound the seal into place. It really was easy.

I've never had the issue with the tach cable, so I'm no hope there.

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply. I am planning on replacing it in time but I figured since it wasnt dripping oil everywhere and just slowly seeping that it wasn't a major problem. I have an uncle who's had a few xs400's and he said they are well known to seep oil and as long as the oil level is fine then the bike is fine :)

This may sound like a stupid question but when the bike is running am I suppose to see any oil in the little oil level window?

Edit: never mind did some reading and answered my own question lol

Back