Oil leaking and allen screw missing

dheller

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have just bought a rebuilt 81. It runs, but leaks oil. Once, after a ride, I found that all the screws on the left side crankshaft case were loose and one appeared missing causing all the oil to flood out of the compartment. I tightened all of them back, but the oil is still leaking. To try and diagnose the problem, I took another screw from the case exterior and tried it in the hole, but it did not want to tighten or screw. Can you help me find the correct part to use, and any advise would be great as I am new to it all.

I have attached pictures

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG636.jpg
    IMG636.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG637.jpg
    IMG637.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG635.jpg
    IMG635.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 356
There are two lengths for the screws that hold down the alternator cover. Try it with the longer and shorter screw lengths. If it doesn't work then the threads are ruined which may be the reason the bolt is not there in the first place.

I get all my oem parts from partzilla.com. They parts diagrams are a huge help and they carry a lot of original parts. Check them out if you can't find the bolt. They ship out of Florida so doesn't take too long to get stuff in the mail

try boats.net. they have a good amount of parts

FYI... Boats.net/Partzilla is the same network. Partzilla is a tad cheaper. The belong to the outdoor network. Which is that logo on the bottom of the webpage. It is nice to have internal competition.

Back