Oil leaking from oil filter housing - in need of a gasket!

ricosmodernlife

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello XS400 fam,

Had a fellow XS buddy come over yesterday and help me out with some starting issues that my bike had been having. My bike had been leaking oil from what seems to be the area around the oil filter housing. I asked him if a gasket could be the case and he said that was likely it. I'm in search of an oil filter housing gasket for my '81 XS400 Special II. Anyone got any ideas on where I can find one? I've searched Mike's XS and a few other sites with no luck. Any help would be great! Thanks and enjoy your riding!

There's a big o-ring that seals the oil filter assembly.
P/N: 93210-87723-00
Looks like about $5 and still readily available. I'd bet your Yamaha dealer could probably still get you a new one.

O-ring usually comes with new filters. Filters are available at certain Auto stores, The type I use is in my signature. (I do that so I can find it fast, next time I am shopping for a filter.) I was surprise that a nearby Orielly, and Fleetfarm had them in stock. Only thing I ever did to ensure it better fit, was to use a fine grit large sheet of sand paper, and gently sand the edge smoothly/evenly. Not too much, just so that the o-ring fit is assured.

There's a big o-ring that seals the oil filter assembly.
P/N: 93210-87723-00
Looks like about $5 and still readily available. I'd bet your Yamaha dealer could probably still get you a new one.

O-ring usually comes with new filters. Filters are available at certain Auto stores, The type I use is in my signature. (I do that so I can find it fast, next time I am shopping for a filter.) I was surprise that a nearby Orielly, and Fleetfarm had them in stock. Only thing I ever did to ensure it better fit, was to use a fine grit large sheet of sand paper, and gently sand the edge smoothly/evenly. Not too much, just so that the o-ring fit is assured.

Thanks! I was thinking that was the only gasket down there but just wanted to be sure. That sanding idea is a great suggestion. I always felt like it could fit a bit better. Thank for the responses.

Back