Oil out one exhaust lower rpm high load

foppert

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, now that the weather has cleared up i am finally getting out and riding my xs360.... BUT, my friend that was tailing me mentioned the massive blue smoke out the right side. This after i put in new rings and a hone less than 100 miles ago. The options as i see it are:

A. I didn't break in the rings properly, or i did something to screw up the rebuild.
B. The rings are still breaking in.
C. I have oil leaking somewhere from the valves.

I currently also have oil leaking into the points cover. How often do these seals go bad? Also how likely is a new seal actually going to fix the problem. (mostly the problems is finding the seal not the cost)

Suggestions of how to proceed and what to look for are greatly appreciated.
Thanks any happy riding.

It was defiantly under acceleration, it would not do it while engine braking and won't do it while just revving in the driveway. I did not replace the valve stem seals, and i thought i staggered the rings correctly, maybe i knocked them out of alinement while fitting the pistons.
Is there a way to check valve stem seals?

Posted via Mobile

sounds like oil control ring broken to me! pos damaged when assembling engine or pos underfueling/overfueling carb on that bank? Anyway heads gotta come off so worth checking valve seals and valve guides for wear. 1 important tip when removing barrels or jugs in this case, before completely revelling pistons from barrel, stuff cloth or rags into the crankcase to stop any broken rings falling into the engine! :yikes::banghead:

Well the oil control ring is intact, and the valve seals are not cracked or anything. I noticed carbon build up on the intake valve much more on this piston than the other side. the inside of the intake chamber also has a bit of oil in it also. I am replacing the valve seal. If i post pictures of both the seals and the rings do you guys think that you can tell if anything is wrong?

Before you put it back together check for losenes between the valve stem and guide.Make sure its tight and no excessive play between the valve stem and guide.Also if the seal is lose on the valave stem that will be sign of wear even if you dont see any cracks.

Update: Its been a few months and I've been riding it as is and am ready to tackle it again. It still burns oil out the right side strongly under revving. I have replaced all 4 valve seals with brand new ones and the rings are all brand new. I checked compression and the right side that was burning oil was 140 psi and the side that was happy was 135. I don't know where to go from here. When i replaced the valve seals the valves didn't have excessive play (only checked them by feel and by eye but i couldn't wobble them around at all. I am seeing oil from around the head gasket area between the barrels and the head. Could this cause all my woes?

I would say its a possibility if theres a leak on the underside of the gasket into the cylinders.This is just a guess though.Could also be theres some warpage on the head which would cause an oil leak.

depends on how much warpage,with the high compression these engines have even a very minute warpage could cause oil to leak.Its also very possible that the gaskets are just plain wore out and leaking.

Alright ill swap the head gasket and see if that makes any difference, it is defiantly leaking oil out the sides of the engine so i guess thats reason good enough to change it. Im getting really good at pulling the head off this engine.

When you had it apart do you replace all the gaskets and seals? Also did you lap the valves and have the cylinders honed? If not I would do it. Your compression should be 150+ if you have all these done. If you are unable to do it have a shop check the gaps/tolerances in the pistons and valve stems while it's apart for piece of mind.

My bike has a bit of smoking issue also but not bad enough to where I have to take it apart yet.It smokes when I start it and for a few minutes after then quits so I suspect its bad valve seal.For now Im not going to worry about it.

My bike has a bit of smoking issue also but not bad enough to where I have to take it apart yet.It smokes when I start it and for a few minutes after then quits so I suspect its bad valve seal.For now Im not going to worry about it.

Seal and or guide.

Like i said before, the rings were changed and a hone was done less than 100 miles ago, and it started smoking id say near the beginning of that. I also lapped the valves when i did the valve seals. I even changed cylinder head and the problem has still followed me. I feel it has to be something from the lower than the head, the head gasket has remained a constant so i think changing that is needed. I will have it checked, would it be advantageous at all to have another hone done without changing the rings?

You had all that done but not change the head gasket:doh: that's most likely all you will need.:)

Back