Oil out one exhaust lower rpm high load

The only thing I can think is you should try to lean it to the right a bit, a couple of concrete anchors in the garage and a few moto tie downs could help, or a very thin piece of wood (like an inch thick) to put under the left side of the center stand should help.

My garage bevels towards the center, so on the center stand the bike leans a bit right naturally. Even then I'll lose about a cup or so when I take the cover off.

When you say all the oil do you mean all and not lots? Lots could either be because the bike is leaning to the left or has too much oil in the case. All is highly implausible, unless the bike is laying on its left side.

I do the same thing BC does to keep oil from burning onto my header.:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Is the bike on the center stand or side stand? Definitely don't open the small round cover if the bike is on the side stand :eek:

If the bike is on the center stand and lots of oil is coming out you're probably overfilling it. I've worked on a few old 70s twins with points and similar setups and none leaked much oil out of this cover when the bike was on the center stand.

Alright I've been on a side stand with the small round cover off. However the effect was similar when i had it on the rear stand. (I dont know what happened to the center stand if it ever had one.) I am not home and don't have my rear stand to keep it straight.

Anyways ill have pictures of the rings tonight.

Ok so update: i thought i found that the oil rings on the right side had lined up more than i thought, i twisted them around and buttoned the engine back up. It still blows smoke out that side however less now and i think i see some from around the head gasket area.

The right side now tends to backfire and pop a lot so i think i am having carb issues. The left side mind you is still perfect. The left side exhaust is also much warmer than the right (except when the right pops), ive even seen a small amount of flame from the tip, so it sounds like i'm rich on the right side? could this also be the oil burning culprit?

I still have the little tamper caps on my mixture screws (or at least i think they are, are they horizontal into the side of the carb on an xs360?) so i haven't changed the mixture more than half a turn ever.

The I have the timing set statically pretty much dead on. Ive tried advancing it while its running and all it seems to do is raise the idle. It still fires out the right side exhaust no matter how far advanced i go... all the while the left side is changed.

Im really starting to consider dropping this boat anchor and getting an sr500... i clearly can only handle one cylinder at a time.

Last edited:
Take off the plastic caps and start from seated. Don't screw them in tight or you could snap the tip of the screw off. I would take them all the way out and make sure they are not broke off already. If the head is still leaking it sounds like it may be warped. Did you torque it down in the correct pattern and lbs. as the manual states?

I tightened the head down in 2 stages and in the pattern as the manual said. And assuming my torque wrench is still working I went about half torque then full.

Ok even with the mixture screw turned all the way in it still pops out the exhaust.

I had it for a while when the weld that held the condenser on snapped and i think thats when my backfiring woes started, as the backfiring is newer than the oil problem.

It is hard to tell if the smoke coming from the headgasket area is from exhaust leaks or the headgasket.

Thanks chris you are always helpful, i'm just getting really frustrated.

Turning the screws in will make it leaner. Turn them out for more fuel.

The xs400 head gasket will be larger than the xs360 one and wont seal like it should.

I made sure to get an xs360 head gasket lol, sorry didnt see your previous post. It is fun figuring what parts work and what wont. I tried turning the screw all the way in, in an attempt to lean it out and it is still backfiring.

The head could be warped but i think this problem has followed me through two heads, which makes me more sure its the rings. There is a possibility i could have installed the upper compression ring upsidedown and not know, and the mark is now skuffed away on both.

It also bothers me that the left exhaust is so much warmer than the right, yet a compression test showed that they should be about equal.

Stock mix screw settings are 1 1/2 turns out so if you are running stock pipes and air filters I would start there. I can't remember if said have you synced the carbs with a manometer or vacuum gauge. Because that would cause some of your issues.

I originally used a manometer, but those settings are lost. I checked where it was when i turned started playing with it and it was about 1 turn out.

Back