Only clicks when ignition button pushed

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everybody. 1980 XS400. Put in a new batt over the weeken. Hit the button, almost turned over. checked plugs 1 was flooded. Cleaned off and put back in and tried again. This time all I hear is the click of the solenoid. Cant get it to kickstart either. Acts like its not getting a spark, but it is. Any ideas? Tx alot have a great day!

it does sound like a battery issue. Can you measure the voltage on your battery when:

- in rest (not trying to start): should be 12.6 or more volts
- when engine off and lights on: should be no less than 11 volts
- when pressing the start button with lights off: should be no less than 9 volts

when you put in a new battery, did you fill it yourself? And did you let it sit for at least an hour after filling it up? And did you charge it fully before putting it on the bike?

Yes, checked all the votages except when starter button pushed. It was charged and at 13.1 before anything done. I am going to have them load test it. I don't know if that would cause it. Tx alot for the response.

if your engine is not turning over when you're pressing the starter button, there is something wrong with:

- your battery
- your killswitch wiring
- the wiring from/to your battery
- your starter motor

Plugs are not likely to be the problem. With bad plugs it should still turn over.

Batt was load tested and showed it was good. Have to look at the other stuff now. I wonder if the carbs are a problem. That might explain the kickstart issue. Does anyone know what to look for to show carb issue? Tx alot have a great day!

If your sparks are weak, they fire when you test them but under engine compression they don't. I stick with the battery, killswitch, wiring or ignition unit being faulty. Doesn't really sound like it's not getting air or fuel, more like an electrical issue.

How did you do a load test with the battery?

If your sparks are weak, they fire when you test them but under engine compression they don't. I stick with the battery, killswitch, wiring or ignition unit being faulty. Doesn't really sound like it's not getting air or fuel, more like an electrical issue.

How did you do a load test with the battery?

At a local battery supply store. Called wholesale batteries. They r very good to work with. Tx for you help.

Back