Open faced helmets....whats your eye protection?

njcafe84

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Curious to what everyone is wearing as eye protection with their open faced helmets. During the day light I just wear sunglasses but for night time I have nothing....any suggestions, recommendations, opinions?

I would eat too many bugs wearing an open faced. I have a full cover and I'm happy with it :) But yea those clear safety glasses would be my pick as well.

I have and wear a open face,I have a piece of tinted safty glass that protects my face from bugs/pebnbles etc.The thought of wearing a fully enclosed helmet makes me fill clostrophobic.Also do things breath or are your drinched when you taken them off?

it's quite nice actually, full faced keeps your mouth free from bugs, your eyes out of the wind and the rain and also better protection when you fall of course. Would like to keep my jaw, I only have one. It's pretty hot outside here in NL now, but no problems with the helmet whatsoever.

I switched to a modular helmet after I was hit above my right eye by a large June bug at 90 kph. It nearly knocked me off the bike and I was blinded by bug guts in my eye. I wear glasses, and the right lens was covered inside as well with guts. That was the close call I needed to wake me up... ATGATT! All The Gear, All The Time.

And I wear clip-on sunglasses during the day or yellow lenses at night.

And I would never wear an open helmet... I've been witness of nasty crash.. not nasty because of speed or bike2track crash.. just a guy with open helmet and a pole... he was in agony, 1/9 aware of his situation... blood everywhere.. just a simple crash with a scooter bike... Just take a regular helmet instead:/

Depending on what I am doing. If I am not expect to hit the highway, I will open face, cause it seems more comfortable. If I am heading to work, I will use the full face, I have used sunglasses or safety glasses with both helmets. Except for test trips up down the immediate street, I try to be real safe.

Except for test trips up down the immediate street, I try to be real safe.

One of the worst accidents I've been in (in a car and I didn't cause it!), was 2 blocks away from home. My father heard the sirens and decided not to go see what was going on. My friend (who was staying with us for a month) put his Harley down 1 block away from my place when he hit some gravel while turning. I almost put my bike down last night in my gravel driveway. The worst place for accidents is within 10 miles of home...

The only time it is safe to be on a bike with less than "All The Gear" is when it is on the centre stand.

The near miss I had last december when the lady in the minivan turned in front me less than 10ft from me and bike being an extra side panel was 1/2 block away from home.

Here is why I wear a full-face all of the time:

helmetcrashdiagram.gif

Over a third of impacts go to the chin! Plus, I like how my helmet looks :D

I've always thought full face helmets looked gay. I have two half helmets, one German style and one plain. I've been thinking about going to a modular. I will stay with open face sandwiches however...

I wear a full faced helmet, They have vents so no your head doesn't get sweaty. In Iowa there isn't a requirement to wear helmets so in town I just wear my hat or nothing. I live in a very small biker town, so everyone is very aware of motorcyclists, which is very nice.

I see alot of people riding with nothing, Like you said, a rock, or bugs, soon I see a Modular helmet, and a Bluetooth device, Hmmmm I am watching you amazon!!!!

Back