painting tank...should i strip the whole thing?

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Painting my bike a matte black. Doing the badge delete as well. So far only used the aircraft stripper around the badge areas. Works fast! The paint is otherwise in good shape. I'm wondering if stripping the whole tank might be faster and easier than sanding the rest of the tank to get it ready for priming. Any one else been there / done that?

I used my drill with a wire wheel on it and took it down to bare metal. It took about 1/2 hour. I was going to put clear coat over the bare metal but was surprised (and disappointed) to find the PO had done some bondo work. My PO was a dream wrecker.:mad: Anyways, I would take it down to metal just to be sure that you won't have any chemical conflicts at least for how easy it is to strip. Otherwise, you could just paint over it I think.

EDIT: P.S. That is my tank that I painted in the picture. It was my first time so it really only looks good from a distance but I like it. I will probably redo it next winter. Also be sure to get clearcoat that can withstand gas. I used rustoleum from Autozone and if the gas isn't wiped off right away, it will take the paint off. I would search other threads that talk about what kind of paint to get. Heads up, gas resistant paint isn't cheap.

Last edited:
I like aircraft stripping the entire thing because you can walk away and just brush the paint off by hand once it's done. No dust! Minimal labor.

I dont think brand matters... I think you can get it on the UK Ebay if the local auto parts store doesn't carry it. Its pricy... about $20 US, for a quart; but s/b enough to finish my tank. Don't breath the stuff as it may kill you or cause brain damage... what was the question ? LOL....

When using aircraft stripper, wear gloves. And you can use some thinner to remove it.

I also plan on redoing my tank, any idea where I can get some aircraft stripper in Canada or online with minimal shipping fees?

I'm pretty sure I saw some in a retail store. Not seeing it on Canadian tire.ca or home depot though. Might have been Lordco. It's basically like Napa auto parts. Any local auto parts store should have it or be able to point you in the right direction.

I had decent results with the spray can stripper from Canadian tire. Took a couple of cans as there were s few layers if paint on top of the original paint.
Anything with methyl ethyl ketone or methylene chloride should work well. Bad stuff to inhale or touch though. Gloves and excellent ventilation are a must.

Edit: Figured out where I saw it. KMS tools. It's a BC and Alberta tool shop with some automotive supplies. None in Ontario but again stores that specialize in automotive should have it.

I just used some stuff from Lowes (home improvement store) called Jasco. It is in gel formula and works great. I just used it to remove powder coating from wheels. Put in a glass/metal bowl and brush on with a disposable brush. Works great.

Fleetfarm had fuel resistant spray paint, in a separate area from the rest of the spray paints. I dont' remember it being more than 4 to 5 bucks for the can. (I used almost one whole can on the tank.) I have overfilled her up, and over night, I would come out to leave for work on the next day. It did allergator, (but its still didn't show the metal.) ((Okay, maybe the fuel tank was spilled over for a short while, when I was tuning a carb or something, and it was off the bike)) rustoleum

Back