Petcock filter issues

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have a petcock for my 1980G that has no intake filter. I have found some on line for 35.00 but that is a pretty high price if I can do otherwise. Could I source copper line the same size a s the inlet pipes and use the universal type filters I find much cheaper. or, should I just purchase this from Mikes XS for $30.00 complete?www.mikesxs.net/catalogsearch/result/?q=non+vacuum+petcock

I have filters if you need one it also make your on/res work it pulls from higher up in the tank. The 80 uses the wider one I think where the 81-82 sohc has a smaller one. The 78-82 xs650 non-vacuum ones are nice but if yours still works. I can send you a filter if you want. $10 shipped.

Attachments

• DSC03333.JPG
    DSC03333.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC03334.JPG
    DSC03334.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 149
I have filters if you need one it also make your on/res work it pulls from higher up in the tank. The 80 uses the wider one I think where the 81-82 sohc has a smaller one. The 78-82 xs650 non-vacuum ones are nice but if yours still works. I can send you a filter if you want. $10 shipped.
Sounds good Chris, I will double check the one I need, I believe it to be the bottom one.

The top one has holes that are recessed down into the petcock. Yours look to be almost flush like the bottom one.

Still looks like the bottom one in the pics Chris posted. The top one looks like a 1/4 plus on the recessed area the bottom maybe an 1/8th just like yours.

Still looks like the bottom one in the pics Chris posted. The top one looks like a 1/4 plus on the recessed area the bottom maybe an 1/8th just like yours.
yeah, I guess you are right. I have been looking at it on my phone. Looking at it today on the laptop it is easier to determine the depth of the recess. Thanks for stopping me from doing something stupid! ....I am prone to doing that!

Your looks very worn and eroded. I can send you a good one for another $5 as I have a few of them. Or you may just want to buy one of the mikesxs ones and start fresh.

Attachments

• DSC03335.JPG
    DSC03335.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC03336.JPG
    DSC03336.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC03337.JPG
    DSC03337.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 163
I guess it would. Is that how long you've owned one? I have had mine for 10 years now but they sat for a long time. I believed them to be beyond my skill level to repair. Frankly, as long as you go slow and deliberate and parts are available these are easier than most automobiles to work on. I was in that field for 20 plus years, not as a tech but I learned to be fairly capable through the instruction of friends. I wish I had some of THOSE projects back...especially my El Camino.

Back