petrol in the oil coming out the breathers

weemonster

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
wentto do a pre mot last minute check on the xs lastnight.
She struggled to start but when she did start was running well.
then i noticed oil and petrol mix coming out the breathers.

No in my mind that means the piston rings are gone right?
any ideas?

its a dohc seca

It could be something as simple as moisture in the oil from not getting up to full operating temp. Or the float levels are too high, or the petcock is leaking and fuel is getting into the cylinders when parked.

What exactly were you seeing? A milky froth on the breather? Got pics?

It was oil and petrol micture really thin oil that smelt like petrol.

I think youre right dave i've spent a fair few hours deliberateing on this and yeah Carbs or petcock.
Will try petcock first

You have two things going - needle not holding the fuel and a faulty petcock supplying fuel to this faulty needle.

Needles can stick open because of dirt, burrs, or just being worn out.

Leaking petcock is probably a clapped-out o-ring or spring in the shutoff valve portion. Or a chunk of dirt preventing the valve from seating.

whe i got it the carbs werechoked wi rust and other silt so theyve been stripped and cleaned twice. maybe not back together right.
Also the replacement tank the petcock wasntcomingoff easily so i just left it so it could be that.
good news is tho that i have a psare working petcock.

whe i got it the carbs werechoked wi rust and other silt so theyve been stripped and cleaned twice. maybe not back together right.
That takes care of dirt. Doesn't take care of needles being worn out and not sealing and doesn't take care of float levels being wrong.

Have you reset the floats?

good news is tho that i have a psare working petcock.
That will take care of the petcock problem. You will still have the needle problem, which is the more significant one, as it can affect your mixture.

The petcock problem can be remedied (but not really fixed) by getting a fuel shutoff valve from some place that sells lawnmower parts. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-07-403-Inline-Fuel-Shut/dp/B0018U234W

You will just have to remember to turn it on or off, like a regular manual fuel cock.

Was it left on the side stand or centre stand? If on the side stand then it may be possible that the floats didn't close and a leaking petcock just let the fuel flow into the pistons and past the rings.

Back