Please help clutch?

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
CAM00063.jpg

CAM00064.jpg

I removed that cover to see what's up with the clutch cable, yeah it's froze (the cable) but now that pin I am pointing to, I can slide it freely, I pulled it out a couple of inches, and pushed it back, but when I tried to push it in hard like to disengage the clutch it won't go in any further, shouldn't I feel like a spring resisting or something,? Before I took that cover of it was loose so I screwed it in all the way and I was in first gear and I could spin the wheel with little resistance, then I loosened the cover and the wheel would not move by hand, like the cover was pushing on the pin disengaging the clutch? That circle thing the cable goes to rotates up and out, so my question is why when I push that pin with the cover off is the clutch not disengaging? Do I have to wiggle it in further?I'm just confused because the clutch was disengaging when I tighten the cover way down, I'm so close to getting this thing on the road this is my last hurdle

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Get a new clutch cable they are cheap and easy to get.

When you pull the clutch, the release mechanism extends and pushes the clutch rod in, which releases the clutch. I doubt you have the strength to release the clutch without the mechanical advantage of the release mechanism, I certainly don't.

Once you have your new clutch cable installed, be sure to follow the instructions in the manual for setting the free play at the release mechanism that needs to be there. Then you can adjust the cable free play at the lever.

And don't loose the ball bearing that I've read SOHC engines have...

ok so its normal,that i cant push the rod in by hand? i mean i put a quarter inch socket on a nut driver and slipped that over the pushrod and was unable to budge it in.i guess i am under estimating how the pull of the cable transfers down to the push rod,yes i did notice a ball bearing in the round thing that the cable connects too.

The rod you're pointing to is what spreads the clutch plates, yes. I've never tried to push it in by hand, but it should be pretty difficult to do. The clutch lifter (ramp) on the cover with the cable attached to it (and a ball bearing inside) doesn't actually need to move much; perhaps 1/3 of an inch; give or take. Remeber that you're using a lever system to generate a lot of force normally.

Don't lose the ball bearing in the cover/lifter mechanism. There is a second ball bearing inside on the other side of the rod that you cannot see as well. The second ball bearing sits inside a hollow mushroom-shaped piece which then pushes on the clutch.

Look at the exploded diagram in the repair manual for a picture.

Back