Please help! My '77 XS has ignition problems

77 XS360

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a new member to this site but I have been trolling it for the past couple weeks. I am new to the XS community but not the motorcycle community, I have been riding motorcycle since I was 12. I recently bought a 1977 XS360 with 6,200 original miles on it for $600 (good deal or not?). The previous owner said that it either needs new ignition points or they need to be adjusted in order to run properly. I have watched a couple videos on Youtube about setting the timing but everything I do does not work. The PO also included a Piranha Ignition system that he said would fix the problem if I knew how to hook it up, which I don't. I have been tooling around on the bike as far as trying to set the points gap and timing but I still have not been able to get it running. I have a freshly charged battery and the spark plugs are getting spark so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If anyone has any tips on how to get my bike running or how to install the Piranha Ignition system I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank You.
-Nolen

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 386
maybe its a silly question - but have you clean your carbs - check the jets and if damaged - replace them.

Do you have electronic starter or manual one?

about piranha - I've found that they were sold 2 times or sth like that ;) (i mean company) so i believe this is a owner now: http://www.newtronic.co.uk/new/main.php/suppor - I don't see there Piranha one but maybe they renamed it?;) Try to write them a msg.

Cheers

EDIT: http://www.triumphspitfire.com/piranha.html - this is a 3 pages manual I believe - try to figure it out;)

EDIT #2: If nothing will change, maybe this is sth stupid like damaged tank's fuel tap?? Try to deliver fuel directly to your carbs - you will eliminate the problem I guess - if I'm wrong - please correct me anyone:)

I have not cleaned my carbs because the PO said that he just did. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check tho. My bike has both an electric starter and a manual.

So If other things I've wrote above (check edits I've wrote) are fine: does your starter works? I mean do you hear that starter is trying to start the engine? If everything works and you have the spark I'd try to deliever fuel directly to carbs.

Yes, the starter works fine. Could it not be starting because the timing of the points is so far off? I've watched this video:
, and on my bike, when I use the light to see if the points have spark it lights up almost the whole time. It really should only be lighting up once the left fire (LF) or right fire (RF) marks line up with the arrow.:banghead:

after reading the comments I see that you need to set your gap then - try to find how to adjust it properly in your motocycle - but honestly - I don't thing that this can be your main problem - but maybe I'm wrong.. I think that setting the timing is just important for your engine performance - but I think that it can run without it - poorly but should at least pretending to run ;)

set your fuel tap to PRI and see if the fuel is leaking through tube - this would be of course sweet if you have just a fuel tap problem;d but almost certainly no - but try.. It will take you 10 sec;-) and you can try to deliever fuel to your carbs directly and try to start the engine.

Okay thanks a ton overpl. Do you know what the gap is supposed to be set at? I thought it was supposed to be .015mm and thats what I set it to but I could be wrong.

Definitely go through the carbs even thought the PO said he did them. They can never be too clean.

Which gap are you referring to? Points gap? That is 0.3 to 0.4 mm. You set them when they are at the widest point.

EDIT: sorry I just realized its an XS360. Definitely confirm those numbers in the manual.

Is this something that just buying a new pair of points would solve? Or do I have a bigger problem on my hands?

I have the same bike, I cleaned the carbs over 10 times (I believe in persistence) it would run but would not start easily ever or idle at all…..

I found the problem to be in the timing/points gap….it has to be exact….if it is not also figure on kick starting, you get a hotter spark off the kick as the battery is not being used as hard…..

Thanks Kdog, before you got your timing and gap exact would your bike fire/run at all? Mine wont start at all no matter what I do to the timing and gap.

Today I thought that I may try switching the primary wires that connect to the points. I read somewhere on here that the wire for the left piston is supposed to be grey while the wire for the right is supposed to be orange. I checked mine and they were reversed so I tried switching them and it made no difference. Im starting to think I may have a problem with the coils but I really don't have a clue.

I had to do everything to my bike, I mean everything…from new rubber intakes to carbs to coils points condensers everything…..

first have you pulled a plug out hooked to its wire….and while holding the rubber turned the starter over to see if you have spark at each plug?

You have to determine you have spark before you get into timing gap etc..

I would doubt both coils would be bad or both condensers…

If you are a real novice learn your part names, find your condensers (there are two back to back in a holder bolted to the frame under the tank)

I also recommend you find a way to put your gas tank up on something high, put a long fuel line on it and feed the fuel to the carbs while you work on it…a shut off near the carbs in line is also advised for ease of working (plastic shutoff is 10bucks at lowes)

Where are you located?

oh and it would not run ever, even with spark till I got everything just right….
and yes it is frustrating but if it is right, it will purr.

Yes, I've checked and both the plugs get spark. I already have taken my gas tank off in order to reach all the electronics easier.

mate, have you checked If you didn't mistakely changed the plug caps (right/left)?

First off If you personally have never had the carbs off, stop there. You say you have spark…so you have one of two problems, no fuel or poor timing….when you crank the bike over many times, can you pull the plugs and see fuel all over them? If so I would say the timing is off. If not, I would start with a carb cleaning……

I would bet you are putting off a carb cleaning because it is intimidating to many. I suggest you lay out a clean work area. Spend the 20 minutes it take to get the carbs out….keep track of all your parts and where everything goes and do a thorough cleaning, or get someone you know to do it with you.

Also are you running stock air filters? You have to run air filters.

Your right I should just nut up and clean the carbs. Yeah my air filters are stock. Are you saying keep those or get filter pods?

Back