Please help! Need some advice on this frame.

Cmac

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I picked this up in a trade as an extra. I'm pretty sure it's a 400 frame and the motor is a 400.
Several questions:
1. Is the frame to chopped up to be safe? The pics I've seen there is a down bar off the spine. Is it ok to run this way?
2. The slots on the hard tail are 20mm. Do I need to run 650 rear end? Axles etc.
3. If so, can I use a 650 donor for the forks too? Or will I need to bikes to make this frame a rolling chassis?

It looks like somebody tried to breed a sport bike and an XS . I have a box of parts but I'm just trying to get a roller and set the motor in and collect what I need from there.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 343
well you posted at 1:20 in the morning to me, sorry for not staying up to answer your question ;)

its doesn't look safe to me, the back bone with bend on the first bump, it needs triangulation in there to be strong

Haha, I was being a smart ass. ;)
Yea I'm thinking I'll find a donor and cut the down tubes off of it and stick them in this frame.
Do you know if I'll need a 650 rear wheel assembly? If so could I use 650 front end assembly as well? Forks etc...
Thanks for the help!

Well first you'll need to add a gusset between the two tubes at the neck of the frame. Next you'll need to add a brace from this neck gusset to the main downtube. Next, extend the downtube down to the bottom the frame rails. This can be done easily with what you have though it may not be pleasing to the eye.

It may be less work for you to just get the hardtail kit from Travis on here though.

To use the XS650 front end you'd need the triple trees as well and then you'd need to use the right size bearings to make it fit the neck. It's probably somewhere on the forum if you search hard enough but I'm not 100% sure on that.

What if you find a donor and cut the hardtail off this frame and put it on the new one? Or do you have a title for this one and think you'll get a donor without a title?

You will probably want a wheel with a 20mm axle. Or you could cut the axle plates off the tc bros hardtail and weld some 17mm ones on.

Back