Pod Filter Cleaning

What kind do you have?
Looks like this

7B598AD6-6AA9-4D26-8294-6A94A7BDF8AB.jpeg

Those are really not much of a filter. In fact those are about the worst one to use on these bikes. I would get a set of uni's as those are made of foam like the stock ones are. Also if you oil the uni's they will actually catch dirt. Cleaning times all depends on what the conditions you ride in. Dirt roads would need more frequent cleaning. All highway and keeping the bike covered when not in use, not so much. All my bikes have stock filters and boxes so they don't see a lot of dust and dirt as open filters. Those only require to be blown out with an air gun every few thousand miles or so. I do wash them every few years with soapy water and let dry. Running pods directly on the carbs will get dirtier faster because of blow back from the motor. Some bikes will do this more than others. Cleaning would need to be done more often if that happens. If your filters smell like gas then you bike does this.

Thanks for the explanation, the silver pods do smell like gas. I will try and find some uni filters for my seca...

Will it be a straight swap or will I have to readjust anything on the carbs?

Sorry for the questions, It’s my first bike and I’m learning how to wrench slowly but surely.

Most likely the bike will run richer with the uni's. There was a member with a DOHC bike that used some stacks to mount the filters to so the crank vent hose can be used as it should. He had great results with the setup and put lots of trouble free miles on it.

Back