Powder coating cast wheels

member4326

XS400 Member
Reaction score
First an introduction. I'm from southern British Columbia, retired and have been around motorcycles for about 20 years. Now that doesn't mean I know anything more than the basics. This chopping and bobbing is all new. I have aquired 2 bikes a 1978 xs400 with cast 18" wheels front and back and discs fr. and rear.The other is a 1980 18"cast with disc on front and 16" cast with drum on rear. Both kind of rough. I'm going to try for a soft tail bobber. The 1978 runs the 1980 has sat for 18 years. I'm hoping the members here can help me through this project. Whew, long winded eh.:)
The question today is my cast wheels. I'm going to do up the 1980 that means 18" front with disc and 16" rear with drum. Any comments on that combination? leave it or change. The other 1/2 of the question is has any one been powder coating these rims? What are the other options?
Greetings to all and thanks in advance.
sb:confused:

Welcome to the forum mate :thumbsup:

What wheels you use kind of depends on what style of bike you want to create (I'm presuming you are not doing a stock renovation...).

Trackers seem popular on here at the moment and they tend to run with 18" front and rear.

Most chops tend to run with a smaller rear wheel so the 18" front with 16" rear would be fine and you get some safety from the disc on the front. Quite a few people like a 21" front on a bobber and use old Mx wheels to get the style.

Do what ever you like the look of and fits within your budget. There will be lots of things to spend money on if both bikes are in a rough state and if you like the look of the wheels you have then go for it.

It's no problem to PC the cast rims though you will have to remove the bearings and that will probably mean replacing them with new ones. If you do remove the bearings don't lose the tophat spacer that will come out with the bearings as these a difficult to replace.

These wheels can also be sprayed with rattle cans easily too and some people use appliance enamel to give a tough coating, though your prep has to be good for it not to f@#K up.

:bike:

I would have powder coated my wheels, but I have too many other projects and I really need to budget for the ones that demand higher quality. Now I like my xs400, but it's the "RoundTown" beater so I used the Krylon semiflat treatment. I like them in semiflat, gives a semi shine, beads water, easy to clean and touch up and makes the wheels look a bit more aggressive.

Sorry here's a pic...

Attachments

• shop01.jpg
    shop01.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 506
Hey Senior Bobber

I have two 1978 xs400's and have been working on my build since about march of this year so were probably around the same point. I'm going for a cafe look but ran into the same question myself about powder coating.

My rims are out for paint as we speak actually. I had wanted to powder coat I have a guy who I use all the time but ended up going for automotive paint instead only because of the cush drive on the rear rim (the rubber plugs under the studs). Now I'm not saying you couldn't powder coat them but I was nervous about the heat affecting the 33 year old rubber and when I looked into finding replacements I found that you can't they are part of the wheel so you would need to replace it all if they were damaged.

I think my guy said his oven goes up over 400 F (I think I'm remembering that right) Some guys might have more modern coatings that will cure at lower heat ranges, but the whole point is you may demo the rim if you choose to go the powder coat route (or it may be fine).

If you do decide to wing it and get them powder coated let us know how it works. I'd be interested to know how it works.

I'm not sure if the cush drive is the same in the 1980 with the drum you may be in luck and find you can remove it and mask it off. Check out ebay you can buy special masking tape for powder coating to mask off your bearing surfaces.

Shaun

I had my stock wheels blasted and then painted them with the tractor paint I had seen recommended.

moto_0868.jpg

100MEDIA_IMAG0156.jpg

Seems solid. I let it cure for a few days before putting the tires on and I didn't have a scratch on from the mounting.

Thanks Shaun
Good information. I was just noticing those rubber parts in the cush drive. Could be a problem. Maybe I'll modify my plan. Probably won't be the last change.:bike:
Let me know how your rims come out.
sb

Savantjk
Thanks for the information it all helps. I'm starting to lean toward painting. What kind of tractor paint did you use? I thought tractor paint would be red or green. :)
Thanks again
sb

I would have powder coated my wheels, but I have too many other projects and I really need to budget for the ones that demand higher quality. Now I like my xs400, but it's the "RoundTown" beater so I used the Krylon semiflat treatment. I like them in semiflat, gives a semi shine, beads water, easy to clean and touch up and makes the wheels look a bit more aggressive.
FlyingAnvil
Thank you for the input I'n thinking paints the way I'll go. And I understand the budget thing good to remember that helps keep the peace. Your just south of me I think.
Thanks
sb

Hey Seniorbobber,

Welcome from a fellow BC'er (Okanagan region). If you're planning on powdercoating your rims, I know theres some places that will do them cheap if you want a common color (gloss or flat black typically), they will just throw them in with a batch of other stuff to be coated. I did this with my winter wheels, they were doing a bunch of deck railings in satin black so I got my wheels done for a case of beer.

Also, are you planning on using all those wheels? If you want to get rid if that 18" rear, I'd be interested in it!

bcXS400-81,
Thank you for the greeting. Maybe a coffee sometime. I'm hanging on to everythin right now. But will keep your request in mind. Which city is you powder coater located in?
Thanks again
sb

B.C. party, I'm from vancouver, and live close to Do-boy. If you ever need help or want to go for a cruise when the weather turns nice send along a pm.

Cheers

Hey hey!! Vancouver here also!!

If you're just gonna do the rims black (satin/gloss) I would just paint them. Save the durability and cost of PC for a custom color/set-up that you wouldn't want easily damaged.

Just my 2 cents. Now wheres my change??? lol

On a side note, I do work at a Yamaha dealer so if you (or anyone for that matter) need me to look up price/availability on parts...let me know.

TiZiK,
Thanks for the note and advice. I can use all the help I can get. And as for your change "the cheques in the mail" :) A Yamaha dealership thats handy and thanks for the offer. Which area are you in. I lived and worked on the Lower Mainland till retirement a few years ago. Back to rims yes I'm leaning toward the painting.
Bye for now
sb

First an introduction. I'm from southern British Columbia, retired and have been around motorcycles for about 20 years. Now that doesn't mean I know anything more than the basics. This chopping and bobbing is all new. I have aquired 2 bikes a 1978 xs400 with cast 18" wheels front and back and discs fr. and rear.The other is a 1980 18"cast with disc on front and 16" cast with drum on rear. Both kind of rough. I'm going to try for a soft tail bobber. The 1978 runs the 1980 has sat for 18 years. I'm hoping the members here can help me through this project. Whew, long winded eh.:)

The question today is my cast wheels. I'm going to do up the 1980 that means 18" front with disc and 16" rear with drum. Any comments on that combination? leave it or change. The other 1/2 of the question is has any one been powder coating these rims? What are the other options?

Greetings to all and thanks in advance.

sb:confused:

So SB, it's been a while! What paint path did you choose and how is it holding up?

Back