Re-positioning rear suspension?? OK, or no good?

NewChurchMoto

xs400 street tracker
Reaction score
So, I'm rebuilding my little tracker for the second time after getting hit for the second time! Idiot drivers, :banghead: I'm taking it from a pretty basic cleaned up street tracker look to a little bit more of a dirt tracker/dirt bike/trials bike/bratty look if that makes sense at all...hahaha! I want the bike to be a little taller in the back, getting some custom Hagon shocks and what I'm wondering if anyone has done this before. I want to have the angle of the shocks be slightly more upright and maybe get the Hagons to be 13.5" rather than the standard 12.5". I'll get to the point, would it be better to add a bracket onto the frame at the top that is about 1" closer to the tail, or put a bracket on the swingarm that is about 1" closer to the front? And how will this affect how well the suspension works??? I'm assuming it will be fine but I thought I'd ask the opinion of some experts!

I think I would move the top back. you could then set the shocks to the longest position to get the extra distance. From the looks of your pics of it, it would line up nicely.

I used 14.5" shocks on my tracker. Had to put a -nylon guide on the swing arm to stop the chain rubbing on it, otherwise its fine.
I also used the special stanchions on a standard xs frame to raise the front.

Posted via Mobile

You mean like this?

2011-12-31_16-13-59_884.jpg

840a70b2.jpg

these are a couple of inches longer than std, using the original mounts. Could do with softer springs tbh tho as these are way too strong and doesnt absorb the bumps and pot holes of the UK's roads very well. Need to leave the chain pretty slack to compensate for the swingarms movement.

How do you guys find the handling with the heightened rear? I've lowered the front while keeping the rear stock and I found it impossible to keep in a straight line

Our bike is still in the build stage so we haven't ridden it yet and can't really tell how the suspension mod affects the ride. Hoping like hell its an improvement and not a problem.

How do you guys find the handling with the heightened rear? I've lowered the front while keeping the rear stock and I found it impossible to keep in a straight line

that's why i had longer stanchions on my bike.

All you did was make the steering too unstable by lowering the front and then making it even lower by raising the rear. that makes your rake too steep an angle.

840a70b2.jpg

these are a couple of inches longer than std, using the original mounts. Could do with softer springs tbh tho as these are way too strong and doesnt absorb the bumps and pot holes of the UK's roads very well. Need to leave the chain pretty slack to compensate for the swingarms movement.

I really like how that looks, I'm thinking of going with 14" Hagon slimline twin shocks and I think actually just adding the height I may not even have to move the brackets to get a slightly more upright, dirt bikey feel. Awesome. :thumbsup:

Also, does anyone know if the engine/ stator cover and plate are the same on all XS's? Mine broke when I got hit and there's one up on ebay right now but it's from an '82. I'm assuming it's not but I can't tell from the picture.

I feel your pain PT...literally:laugh: I ran those same MDI shocks last year and will never recommend them to anyone. They're way too stiff and even with softer springs, they're junk, just no dampening in them at all... with softer springs they turn into pogo sticks. Don't waste your coin, this is one of those "you get what you pay" items:banghead:
This is the stance of mine last year, with 14.5" MDI shocks.
P1010760.jpg

Back