Re wiring 82 xs400j help

salbuca

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey there! i recently started stripping my bike for some winter project fun and im planning to do a minimalist wire harness on her.. i am doing this all for my first time so its a learning process. and electrical is not one of my strong points but i can grasp it for the most part.

i have a few questions about this and this form has been excellent with the knowledge and help!

first question is if i take out some things like self cancelling flashers will i have to change my rectifier /regulator? or will it compensate for the lack of the draw?

second question is what would be the essentials to keep on the harness ?

any help would be awesome and updates will be posted once i start the rebuild !

Cheers

SB

Hey there! i rec....first question is if i take out some things like self cancelling flashers will i have to change my rectifier /regulator? or will it compensate for the lack of the draw?
Nope, all of us can do without the self cancelling flashers. Doesn't affect the draw in the slightest. In fact its the self cancelling flashers that is looking for the draw for the signal to cut off power to the flashers after any of the pre-establish conditions are met. (signal from speed0meter, signal lights on. It seems to me that it’s just a signal stating that there is speed, and it will stay on for a short while. not actual distance or any such like that) Of course this must have been in the manual. probably TMI (Too Much Info)

second question is what would be the essentials to keep on the harness ?
That is posted on the Tech section, under electrical, Towards the end of that thread starts some minimum. since your there, Use Drewpys re-wire program. Do it right the first time. I am sure I have posted some Americanized equivalents out there from Drewpies UK gauge wirings, If I can figure that out, I know Its listed on this website!

Seems to me you will have to figure out how much safety you want/need, since if I remember right, your bike has a kick stand relay, which is a safety relay to ensure your kickstand is up. Which I suspect that will be recycled. I guess after spending this much time on the subject. print out the right diagram. start with the white wires, those are a Need. Red fuse wires are a need, Black ground wires are a need, a way to turn it off, Need, ((hahaha, lol, :) :laugh: someone posted some time ago they couldn't figure out how to shut it off, Its funny to laugh at it now, I am sure it ran out of gas by now, or he stalled it out)) regulator rectifier NEED, Lights Need. That’s enough from me for now. Read everything, ( I am not the last word on this, (((DISCLAIMER))) do your own research we will help, but you have to live or sell what you have done.) i.e. I didn't open up a diagram, and look at anything for this posting. I strongly recommend just do a replacement one for one, and not worry about the little stuff. if it’s working don't mess with it. most of us have had to replace the Stator wires per Drewpies program. I don't know if that is an issue with the newer bikes than 1982? but Pre-82, yup, big issue.

road map to Tech Section? On top of this web page, between the logos of XS400, and MikeXS ad it says tech. Other quick tech tips, look up Willem, he as posted a dozen easy starter post for the primary common questions/issues. for any one. I suspect one day that list will migrate onto the Tech section.

any help would be awesome and updates will be posted once i start the rebuild ! Cheers
SB

Back at you, good luck, Tobie

Not sure if your bike differs much from my SOHC, but in most cases the flasher Relay may need a ground wire added to frame if the flasher cancel relay is removed.

Back