Real world battery recommendation?

core attitude

XS400 Member
Reaction score
This is my first XS400 and I would like to buy the correct battery the first time. The electrical will all remain stock for now, but LED / bulb upgrades could be in the near future.

Are there any batteries that seem to work better then others for these bikes? Anything I should watch out for or know if they are all fairly similar?
Thanks in advance!

For cycles, IMHO, the best type of battery you can get is one with the "AGM" internal design. These batteries use a sponge-like material inside that absorbs the liquid acid and are often referred to as "Maintenance Free" batteries. AGM batteries (Acidified Glass Mat) hold a charge between uses longer than regular liquid acid batteries and have tougher internal construction to better withstand vibration. AGM design batteries also tend to have higher CAs (cranking amps) for more starting oomph. They are a little more pricey but worth it. Buy one from a place that offers a 1 year warranty for best protection. Many places charge a premium price but give only a 6 mo. warranty. I like the AGM batteries sold by NAPA Auto Parts stores - 1 year over the counter free replacement. AGM is not a brand but a design.

I purchased a AGM battery with 210 cranking amps from Carquest (Ontario Canada) and it resolved my starter issues.

Hey Thompz!

I know this is an old post but I have been unsuccesfully trying to locate an AGM type battery for my 82 Heritage Special.

So far I have tried Canadian Tire, NAPA, and Carquest.

Since Carquest in Burlington says they only list conventional ones do you have a part number off yours that I can try out on them?

Which Carquest did you go to? I am in Waterdown so it's not a big deal if I have to go to Oakville, Mississauga, etc.

Thanks

Just measure your battery box and go to the biggest battery center, I'm pretty sure you'll find some AGM with at least 180 ca's and 10 ah's.

The best battery out there for our cycles appears to be the Yuasa YuMicron YB12A-A. I don't believe it is a full AGM but has build features that put it between a conventional liquid acid battery and an AGM battery. No one makes a true, full AGM battery for our cycles that is a direct fit replacement.

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the Yuasa YuMicron YB12A-A as an alternative so maybe I will just go with that one. I will check out Magnacharge in Mississauga, it's not that far away from me and I get up that way every so often.

I ordered mine from http://www.xs650direct.com/... same as MikesXS for us Canadians..

it was only $48 for the AGM.. not sure of the quality as I just got it.. but it fits and runs my bike fine. My order was over $150 (i needed lots of stuff.. LOL) so shipping was free.. it was about $100 less than other AGM's I could find locally and a couple bucks less than the cheapest acid battery I could find here as well. He is based is Stratford? I think?? not sure what the shipping is but check it out.

wow let us know how that works out.This says it replaces 12n12a-4a-1 batteries.Cool!!
When mine runs down I will get one unless something better comes out by then.

I ordered mine from http://www.xs650direct.com/... same as MikesXS for us Canadians..

it was only $48 for the AGM.. not sure of the quality as I just got it.. but it fits and runs my bike fine. My order was over $150 (i needed lots of stuff.. LOL) so shipping was free.. it was about $100 less than other AGM's I could find locally and a couple bucks less than the cheapest acid battery I could find here as well. He is based is Stratford? I think?? not sure what the shipping is but check it out.

Well I checked it out at XS650 Direct. The AGM battery they list as a direct replacement for the 12N12A-4A-A has 170 cold cranking amps and the best I have found so far in a conventional has 165 CCA's. This one is $48.02 + shipping. The cost of shipping to my place, which is about 100 km, via FedEx ground is $12.50. The total including all our exhorbitant taxes will be about $68, which is about the same price as an over the counter conventional battery here before tax.

I think I am going to order one. :thumbsup:

UPDATE:

So I ordered one from XS650 Direct. I ordered it late Friday, they shipped it via FedEx ground Monday, and I got it today, Tuesday. They are only about 100 km. from me but I was still impressed with the speed of delivery. Cost was $48.02 + $12.50 shipping + $7.87 HST for a total of $68.39.

It fits perfectly and seems to have good power. As for longevity, only time will tell. :shrug:

It is their part number 61-2026 (AGM Battery CBTX12AHL)

UPDATE:

So I ordered one from XS650 Direct. I ordered it late Friday, they shipped it via FedEx ground Monday, and I got it today, Tuesday. They are only about 100 km. from me but I was still impressed with the speed of delivery. Cost was $48.02 + $12.50 shipping + $7.87 HST for a total of $68.39.

It fits perfectly and seems to have good power. As for longevity, only time will tell. :shrug:

It is their part number 61-2026 (AGM Battery CBTX12AHL)

Darn. Just looked on the site. They don't seem to sell any batteries anymore, let alone AGMs. :(

I guess it was too good to last. No batteries listed on this site anymore. I wrote and got a reply saying they ran out of these batteries and are trying to find a new battery supplier as the old one is no longer making batteries.

I ended up going to CdnTire and buying a regular lead acid powersports battery for less than $70. Most of the vintage bike owners club members use these and they last for years for most of them if they don't boil them dry with tenders. Has a full year warranty and is made in Taiwan - NOT Communist China.
WallyMart had the same battery, labelled as being made for Johnson Controls but also made in Taiwan. Battery, packaging for electrolyte looked identical - likely the same factory making house brands for more than one retailer. A few bucks cheaper than Cdn-Tire, but I wasn't sure about the warranty (and no fun-money).

A couple of guys with fancier bikes pooh-poohed the old-school style battery. Not high tech enough I guess and not something they could brag about - so they seemed much happier paying $140 - 210 for gel batteries.
More power to them (pun intended). :wink2:

More power to them (pun intended). :wink2:
lol

I guess it was too good to last. No batteries listed on this site anymore. I wrote and got a reply saying they ran out of these batteries and are trying to find a new battery supplier as the old one is no longer making batteries.
That's a shame. My eyes lit up when I read that deal on this thread.

I ended up going to CdnTire and buying a regular lead acid powersports battery for less than $70. Most of the vintage bike owners club members use these and they last for years for most of them if they don't boil them dry with tenders. Has a full year warranty and is made in Taiwan - NOT Communist China.
WallyMart had the same battery, labelled as being made for Johnson Controls but also made in Taiwan. Battery, packaging for electrolyte looked identical - likely the same factory making house brands for more than one retailer. A few bucks cheaper than Cdn-Tire, but I wasn't sure about the warranty (and no fun-money).

A couple of guys with fancier bikes pooh-poohed the old-school style battery. Not high tech enough I guess and not something they could brag about - so they seemed much happier paying $140 - 210 for gel batteries.
I'm from China, and yes, some seriously crappy stuff come out of there. I'll keep a look out for Taiwanese made when I buy a new battery.
I recently got this bike, I just want it to be somewhat reliable. Currently it has trouble starting, and bad power when going from a stand still, and super jerky on the throttle. Pretty sure petcock is leaking, but only above a certain level int he tank; carbs probably needs to be boiled to be completely clean; and battery could be bad since I'm not sure the previous history on it. It just seems to a more "high(er)-tech" battery is the easiest way to knock one off the problem list.
Anyways, that was a bit of a rant.

How long does one of these lead-acid batteries last?
And you're recommending against using battery tenders? I'm quite a newbie.

OH!! btw, where is the kickstart on the 83 XS400 Maxims? I can't seem to place it on my bike, and no pics on google.

Thanks

So here is an update on the AGM battery that I got from XS650 Direct. I used it all last year. When I put the bike at the back of my garage for the winter I took out the battery and set it on the garage workbench. This is a detached unheated garage BTW. It sat there from the end of October until around the middle of April when I put the charger on it. I have a charger that has an AGM setting and within about 5 minutes it was showing fully charged. I put the battery back in the bike, it fired right up and seems to be working fine. In other words, I am happy with it, especially at the price I paid for it. Hopefully they will start stocking them again at XS650 Direct because it really seems like a good deal so far, but as I said originally, only time will tell.

Now for a side thought, I am not totally sold on the idea of battery tenders. I have never had one nor do I want one. I was once told by an engineer for a battery company that a fully charged battery that is in good condition should hold most of its charge all winter so long as it was disconnected. A discharged battery or one that will not hold a charge will freeze however and once that happens they are toast. Since then I have been basically removing the battery from the motorcycle and the lawn tractor and just sitting them on the workbench. The battery that is in the Corvette is a bear to get in or out so I simply disconnect the negative cable and walk away, leaving the battery in the car. It also sits in an unheated barn all winter. I have never had to charge any of these batteries for more than 5 or 10 minutes in the Spring to top them up and the Corvette one has never been charged before starting the car. Now, having said that, once any of my batteries start giving any indication of failure and are more than 5 or 6 years old I replace them. Essentially what the engineer told me was that once they are 5 or 6 years old they are living on borrowed time anyway. The most important thing he said to remember was that heat, not cold was one of the biggest enemies of a battery.

So here is an update on the AGM battery that I got from XS650 Direct. I used it all last year. When I put the bike at the back of my garage for the winter I took out the battery and set it on the garage workbench. This is a detached unheated garage BTW. It sat there from the end of October until around the middle of April when I put the charger on it. I have a charger that has an AGM setting and within about 5 minutes it was showing fully charged. I put the battery back in the bike, it fired right up and seems to be working fine. In other words, I am happy with it, especially at the price I paid for it. Hopefully they will start stocking them again at XS650 Direct because it really seems like a good deal so far, but as I said originally, only time will tell.
Sweet! How much was the battery? I go to school and the bike is in Waterloo, I called CarQuest there and nobody answered. Edit: They're closed on Sundays

Now for a side thought, I am not totally sold on the idea of battery tenders. I have never had one nor do I want one. I was once told by an engineer for a battery company that a fully charged battery that is in good condition should hold most of its charge all winter so long as it was disconnected. A discharged battery or one that will not hold a charge will freeze however and once that happens they are toast. Since then I have been basically removing the battery from the motorcycle and the lawn tractor and just sitting them on the workbench. The battery that is in the Corvette is a bear to get in or out so I simply disconnect the negative cable and walk away, leaving the battery in the car. It also sits in an unheated barn all winter. I have never had to charge any of these batteries for more than 5 or 10 minutes in the Spring to top them up and the Corvette one has never been charged before starting the car. Now, having said that, once any of my batteries start giving any indication of failure and are more than 5 or 6 years old I replace them. Essentially what the engineer told me was that once they are 5 or 6 years old they are living on borrowed time anyway. The most important thing he said to remember was that heat, not cold was one of the biggest enemies of a battery.
Great info! :)

Back