rear bearings for 1978 XS400(-E, disc brake), sealed?

armyofda12mnkeys

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,
I need to replace my rear wheel bearings I heard from my friend.
We already re-did the front end and I got a pair of AllBalls sealed bearings for the front (believe i got these: http://www.amazon.com/All-Balls-Wheel-Bearing-25-1311/dp/B000UK9JNE)...
Is there a matching All Balls pair for the rear wheel? I can't seem to find a reference to a part# to get for AllBalls (just part #'s for general non-sealed bearing sizes).

PS Just wanted to clarify since I saw another person post on getting rear bearings for their rear wheel and it was 1978 XS400 as well but theirs had drum brakes (if that makes a difference which bearing to get). I have the disc brake version which I think the the XS400-E vs the XS400-2E which Im guessing is drum.

The post might have been from me. In general I was not able to find a kit for rear wheel bearings for my 2e with rear drum brake in the USA. Everyone sells front wheel bearing kits, but not the rear.

I was able to find a "kit" for sale in the UK on ebay.

Your best bet for 100% accuracy is to pull the wheel off and get the universal bearing code off the seal/bearing itself.

You can buy the bearings for a lot less when you know the codes. There is a large markup in the kits. You can also upgrade over stock. For example, you can replace a single shielded bearing with double shields. Metal shields instead of rubber ones, etc.

Just for others reference: I found the bearing size for rear wheel it these two sizes:
6303-z / 6304-z

Do you guys prefer shielded or sealed (6303-2RS for a sealed bearing or 6303-ZZ for a shielded bearing for example)?
I think drewp mentioned rubber ones are better for cooler applications, and metal ones for other applications.
Are the rubber ones the 'sealed' or the 'shielded' bearings?
Do you guys recommended same advice?

rs - rubber shield on one side
2rs - rubber shields on both sides
z - metal shield on one side
zz - metal shield on both sides

the stock bearings have rubber shields on one side, but... I found this explanation.

Rubber seals completely wrap around the rim of the inner and outer race, so they're very tightly sealed against contaminants including liquids, but they have substantially higher rolling resistance.

Metal shields (zz) are a thin foil that stretches almost to the inner ring, but doesn't touch it, so it's permeable to liquids, but has much less rolling resistance.

Non-contact seals (vv) are half-way in between.

The rolling resistance probably isn't a big deal on a motorcycle wheel. It matters a lot more for small things, like skateboards or small tools with bearings. In those applications you don't care about water resistance, but low rolling resistance is important. On a motorcycle I'd probably want the water resistance.

Cool thanks bcware,
Found them at my local bearing places in Philly... $14 each, but japanese-made... see they are like $3.xx online though... but guessing they are chinese-made at that price.

Thanks for that nice explanation on the rubber vs metal :).

Hmmm i think the new sprocket side bearing doesn't fit even though its the same bearing # as the old rear bearings my friend pulled out. He said the old bearing has a non-standard shape...
Will re-post a pic of the old bearing if anyone knows where I can buy online since the standard bearing # apparently isn't just what i need, but i need a specific shape too?

Note: its a disc brake 1978 XS400E

Here is a pic of that part of the bearing that 'sticks out'. so the regular 6304-RS rubber bearing that i bougth didn't see to have that.
Any idea if I have to get the 6304-ZZ bearing instead? Not sure why that would just such a big protrusion to stick out of the bearing, just assume ZZ would be metal shielded but same size/specs.

13913106437_4a562a1cee_o.jpg

14096655162_4b5fa4328e_o.jpg

13913160318_4ae9732206_o.jpg

14099754845_dd1070bfc7_o.jpg

Did you try ebay or yamaha? Maybe just google the part number and see what comes up.

yeh ebay didn't have that 1A1-25377 part... sometimes there are parts with different prefixes, like 5PW-25377-00-00... but that seems iffy since most of the time the part looks different.

For getting parts directly from yahama....
does Yamaha have an actual website where u can buy parts from them?
I usually search the boats.net website to see if they have yamaha parts and assume if they dont have it, yamaha doesn't have it (thought their website is hooked up to yamaha's stock). I didnt see the part on boats.net... always hate to see the part is 'obsolete' there ;).

If you have a local yamaha dealer I would try there. Sometimes they can have new old stock stuff that has been there for a long time. Another good place is speed and sport ( yamatopdog.com) they carry the largest amount of new old stock stuff around.

So which bearings did you end up going with? I’m in the same boat, I’ll try and reuse the bushing by hammering it out, but wondering what the conclusion was. Same year and model.

Back