Rear ended

NRA-

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Not me, but my son. Stopped at a red light, the car behind him changed lanes, the car driver of the car behind that car was speeding and or not paying attention, squealed his tires a second or two before connecting, trowing my son in the air. This is the best I have come to understand anyway. Now, he has 4 cracked or broken ribs, a broken back witch they realigned in an operation. His spine is still severed of course. Luckily, he is so positive and optimistic, we who care about him don't feel bad, or worry much about him. What a guy!

If there is a moral, the only thing I can think of is to keep an eye open for anyone speeding towards you when you are stopped, leave some room between you and the vehicle in front of you, and try to makes plans for an escape route. Best of luck

That sucks and has to be one of my worst fears not just riding a bike but driving a car also.When Im stopped at a light Im always thinking if I see somebody coming behind me real fast if I have the room Im going to drive up on the sidewalk or a ditch if I have the time and room.
I hope your son will be ok he has suffered the worst kinda of life changing enjuries a person can suffer.Hopefully he`ll heal up from this and doesnt have any lasting affects that will demobilise him.
I see inatentive drivers all the time and I give the a blow of the horn to get their attention back on the road where it belongs.
I wish him and your family the best,stay positive.:)

Nearly had a similar incident a few years ago. I watched a car coming up fast in the mirror while stopped and drove into a ditch on the right to get out of his way. He hit the car in front of me but I managed to escape with some mud and bruises.
Hope your son heals completely. It is one of my darkest fears for my son while he is riding.

Sorry to hear your son was hurt:( I hope he gets well soon. We all send our best wishes.

Back