Rear suspension adjustment - 82 XS400

BigJuicy85

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, new member here, I'm looking forward to taking advantage of your expertise. :)

I want to adjust the pre-load on the rear suspension on my 82 XS400. The service manual mentions using a special tool, which I do not have, to make this adjustment.

Has anyone made this adjustment without the special tool?

That works, as do a large pair of Channellocks (with a rag), though I used this last time:

1501540lg.jpg

Great ideas guys, thanks so much. I couldn't quite get my strap wrench to fit in there, it's just barely too big. I'll give the channel locks a shot sometime this weekend.

I had a look over at mikesxs.com, and at $3.50, the tool might be a good investment. :)

My '80 owner's manual says you can ..."insert a screwdriver or rod into the hole...". I have not attempted this as I have access to the tool but you might give it a try. Depends on corrosion under the adjustment sleeve and it should be easier if you are reducing the tension rather than increasing tension.

I think one could make a tool from 1/8" steel that is 1/2 round with a tang on one end and a handle on the other.cut a section out of the tool to hollow out a shape the diameter of the adjusting "ring" on the shock.With this,you only have to put the tang into the hole,then turn in the direction you want to go. lha:bike:

i don't know about the 82 but on the 80 the supplied screwdriver is the correct tool or any piece of round bar that will fit in the hole.

allen wrench is generally easiest thing to stick in the hole since it's bent you can weasel it in even if the hole is in an awkward spot (towards the wheel). If you had your wheaties today you can do it by hand.

Back