Rectifier Swap

auhenry

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was riding on my bike's longest ride to date and she died while on the highway. Thankfully I had a buddy of mine following because the reason she died is that my rectifier had flew off :yikes: (long story ), but he found it on the side of the road :D. When it did fly off it ripped the terminal connection in half and left me needing a lift.
I have since gotten a new connection terminal kit and hooked up the rectifier and she hasn't done any good. :banghead:
So as of right now I suspect either a bad rectifier or a spotty connection and I have a couple of questions.
1) Does it matter in what order each white wire is connected to the rectifier or do they all do the same thing (I connected them randomly)?
2) Could a rectifier survive a hit getting torn off a bike at 55 anyway?
3) I found a couple new rectifier/regulators on ebay and am wondering if I can swap my separate rectifier and regulator and just hook it up to the one brand new single rectifier regulator unit. That there is my big question now.

1) I dont believe it matters what order they're in
2) Really not sure it might have stuffed connections internally
3) I got a new combo reg/rec a few weeks ago and ditched the old seperate ones, houghmade got one from amazon for much cheaper only difference is it grounds through the body so one less black wire, heres the thread http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12845&highlight=combo+rectifier

Back