Redoing Gauges: Mini Tachometer/Speedometer

jonjkim12

'77 XS360 Owner
Reaction score
Didn't find any threads showing how people mounted their after market speedometers/tachometers.

I'm currently redoing my front end: Headlight, Gauges, Lights, Fork Gaiter, etc.

I started with the stock gauges, which i took off and labeled all the wires. The mini tachometer and speedometer (from DCC) fit on our bikes in the same holes the stock gauges fit in.

My problem was getting the ignition switch and lights mounted on there too. After not finding a decent solution online. i did the following.

Took the stock ignition switch, removed the rubbers grommets on the side brackets and left on side of the grommet so the nut on the gauges would fit on there (see pictures).

then i just put it all together. The gauges are obviously rotated, which is slightly annoying, but this is just until i find a more proper solution.

Once the headlight come in as well as the HID kit, ill post how i did that.

Attachments

• IMG_20141031_201436.jpg
    IMG_20141031_201436.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 793
  • IMG_20141031_201441.jpg
    IMG_20141031_201441.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_20141031_201448.jpg
    IMG_20141031_201448.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IMG_20141031_201459.jpg
    IMG_20141031_201459.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 692
What speedometer and tachometer did you get? I have been looking to buy mine from DCC as well, probably will do so over the winter time.

I dont have a pic right now, but I got a small piece of aluminium sheet, roughly traced out an outline for mounting points of my guages (im just a mini running a speedo), then drilled hole so they would line up with the holes under the top tree and bolted it up. then i got a generic emgo 2 way key switch, made a hole in my headlight bucket and mounted it flush in that. tidies it up heaps and gets rid of the big bulky stock key switch

Cliffy: I got the 2.5" speedo/tacho they same kind on DCC. But since they were OOS on the ones i needed, i just got it on ebay. I think the speedo i got was titles "for Harley" but its all the same thing, just get the right ratios.

Timbuz: i may look to you for some suggestions, i bought a tin sheet that i was going to drill, but I was told if i tried to drill metal it would bend. What type of drill bit did you use on aluminum? and did you have to buy a big sheet at the hardware store?

Reason i ask is because i'd like to eventually include an LED cluster that shows the indicator light, etc.

Cliffy: for reference, our bikes use a 2240:60 (ie Harley) speedo ratio and a 1:5 tach ratio. Pain in the ass for Canadian customizers because KPH Harley speedos are hens' teeth, but I guess if you're used to working in MPH it's no big deal at all.

Also!

the light color is orange, not sure if its LED or not. But on DCC they say you can replace the bulb with an LED, but once i got it in the mail, i couldn't figure out how to get it open.

saw on some forums people said they don't open up, which is weird.

Levdir, did you find any good gauges? I researched specifically a 2240:60 ratio speedometer and on Canada's Motorcycle it's $85.

I didn't really, although I think you can get Acewell combo units with all the idiot lights and whatnot for less than $200. I'm actually working on an Arduino-powered GPS speedo/capacitance coil tach setup over the winter because the hardware is cheaper and the weight savings is significant.

Yaa I've never been a fan of the big lunks to put on my bars, especially no idiot lights. I guess I'll keep looking, thanks a ton for the advice

Sorry to annoy you Levdir, I found a speedometer 2240@60 mph, is this correct? I can't find any on DCC in kmh, so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and hope I can do math on the fly

The struggle is real for us Canadians eh? You guys are all amazing. New to this forum and can't appreciate the help enough

Yeah, it's doable. My fiancee's dad drives an American Grand Cherokee because they never sold the diesel up here in his version, and I took them to the airport one time. Driving back to the city I couldn't figure out why I felt like I was going so quick until I clued in that I'd been cruising at 110 MPH and not 110 KPH.

Haha i got an aluminium street sign and cut out a shape with an angle grinder. Its not perfect but it works. Drilling aluminium is easy you can use any drill bit really

You guys know that there are metal stores in every decent sized town, right? Heck, the "village" of 500 people where I live in has a good sized hardware store that has a 'steel shed' where one pays by the pound for material. Within 30 minutes drive there are 2 metal stores that can provide most any sheet, tubing, or bar stock one could desire. No need to make your neighbours pay outrageously just so you can save $2...

As cool as the Icon bikes are, after taking a long hard look at them, they are often all fashion and dangerously lacking in function. For example, I like the look of their Dromedarii, but the sharp edges and points on the rear rack make me nauseous. The exposed timing belt and clutch on their The Operator (Redux) is an insult to the engineers who designed the engine. I could go on, but you probably get my point: (Please!) Don't let fashion impede the function of your bike...

about the metal stores, you'd think so. I'm in southern california, and around my area all we have are the big box hardware stores, and i know more about anything than everyone that works there.

i don't know when it happened, but i feel like no one in there has any knowledge on any type of construction/crafts/building. I get 10 different answers when i ask where a certain item is in the store....

Back