Relay was smoking bad

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went for on other longer ride today, at Highway speeds drove like a champ! I pulled over to get gas and after I filled up I restarted the bike and smelled burnt plastic, I looked bellow the seat there is two relays in rubber holders, one was smoking bad and smelled like ass. I unplugged it and I still had all light and what not, so what the hell is it for? The only thing it could be is for the starter button? I am not using the stock button to start my bike, I have a toggle switch run to my new selanoid to start it. Thanks guys, I feel every time I ride it I find something to work out, but the issues are becoming smaller and smaller.

I just read that if they touch the frame they will short out? I Removed the rubber holders and zipped tied them directly to the frame, the rubber mounts wher rotted bad. I don't have any blown fuses! And there was no sparks or anything just a burning smell. The best I can decifer from the wiring diagram is one is the starter safety relay and the other is for the starter switch, neither of which I use due to the starter switch on the handle not being used, I'm really not being lazy with the wiring diagram but I'm color blind and have trouble telling the wires apart.

Back