removing dents from the gas tank

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a gas tank with some minor dents,I wondering if the dry ice trick will get them out?I have attached pics so you can let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Dent on top of gas tank.jpg
    Dent on top of gas tank.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 229
  • dent on the side of tank.jpg
    dent on the side of tank.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 227
Get thee a dent puller. Suction cups and a screw to pull outwards should do the trick.

Alternatively, you can do what I do to remove dents from my tuba (seriously.) Get thee a rare earth magnet with a 50 lb draw. Count and put large calibre ball bearings into the tank. Wrap the magnet in a polishing cloth to protect your paint, and use the magnet to pull the ball bearings against the inside of the dent. Move back and forth until dent is removed, and then remove all ball bearings from the tank.

Works like a charm on a highly tuned precision musical instrument, so I'm sure it will work on a fuel tank. Might cost more than a puller, though (but on the bright side, you're left with awesome ball bearings and a rare earth magnet capable of lifting your entire socket wrench set.)

Looking at that dent, if it were me, I'd find an old school body and fender man who knows how to pop the dent with air pressure.

Looking at that dent, if it were me, I'd find an old school body and fender man who knows how to pop the dent with air pressure.

I have read about people using this method and also heard that it can ruin the tank.

Bentwrench I also thought about using body filler but if at all possible I would rather not use it.If theres no other way I might though.
I have seen people use dry ice removing dents similar to the size of the ones I have on the tank.Im guessing that nobody here has tryed the method?

You can try using a large C-Clamp or a "Wonderbar" to try and push the dent out as much as possible. After that you will probably need at least a little body filler to make it look perfect.

Back