Replacing 1981 XS400 Carbs

I did say it was a Bone yard, they got it covered. The carbs resource, if you ever want to learn more about carbs, you wont find a better spot to go from the really old, and simplicitic, to some really complicated ones. I was glad to be allowed to visit such a place :bow: Or maybe I am really simplistic in my post 40 year old state of mind :bike: take what you need, check out at the counter. And they eBay too. I am sure there are others out there!

And they Sell the easier fixer uppers that they have picked up

Attachments

• JordanMNCycleGraveyard.JPG
    JordanMNCycleGraveyard.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 256
Yeah, my buddy said he got a motorcycle for like, $50 that he was able to fix for nothing! I'm definitely going to have to check the ones that are nearer me out. The only problem is I don't have anything to tow another bike to my house. So, it looks like I'll just be getting spare parts for now =(

My wifes bikes missing years, were in Faribault, We took a U-Haul down to pick it up, and bring it the 70 miles to Robbinsdale. (Minnesota)

I don't know that I am old enough to rent a vehicle, you had to be 21 the last time I checked. That's definitely something I will be looking into in the future, though. I need to get the two bikes I have right now running before I take on any other projects.

So, I went ahead a bought a new set of float bowls, gaskets and those plug things that go by the float. Put everything back together and it starts and idles fine with the choke on. But as soon as I take the choke off, it dies. It's idling around 1000RPM with the choke on. It also smelled kind of hot, like something was burning after a bit. I don't have a dipstick on my oilcap, could my oil be low?
I've seen people talking about adjusting an idle screw, but I don't know what or where that is. Is it the screw that opens those valves that are in the carbs?

On a side note, how bad is it to run without an air filter on one carb? I broke one trying to get it back on.

My first thought was Dirty carb, so I still think that. The more you go though looking at others with same problem, Follow Houghmades carb cleaning. or the Lemon or vinegar juice carb boiling, Rinse with water, and blowing out with water. Mental note. The burning smell, I would not worry toooo much about that. (suspecting its just spilt oil on to the muffler, and other chemicals you have used that havent evaportated yet. Our bike doesnt have a dipstick. Yamaha expects us to look at the window, while holding it with one hand. ensuring that the oil is between the lines. The idle is suppose to be set for 950 to 1200. So if yours is idleing at 1000 rpm on the choke, (others know just what is jacked up, I dont) If you were not wearing the safety glasses, cause the Carb cleaning fluid will spill everywhich way, especially into your eyes. The Idle screw is under the carb, I can adjust mine from my seat. reaching under with my Right hand. Any over idleing I found was cause the vacumn line was not hooked up.

On a side note, how bad is it to run without an air filter on one carb? I broke one trying to get it back on.
Only problem I see with that is the engineers designed the carb to use x amount of air, though a clean source. so with the unlimited amount of air, you will find it will work, but it will be rich, or something like that, the people that update the carb to the Pod filters, have to change main jet, (look in the Tech link on top of this page) probably not the best idea.

Good luck

As far as running without the air filter, no worries carb wise.
They can adjust just fine for any increased air flow.
We use to run without air filters with our carbureted VW 1200s.
But the dirt coming in required new pistons and cylinders each year.
So if you don't mind replacing motor parts regularly go ahead and run filterless.

Running on carb with no filter will unbalance them and make them hard to tune. Also making the one very lean. These cv bs34 carbs are sensitive to vacuum changes. A air leak or not having them synced right will cause a lot of issues.

Back