Replacing idiot light cluster with LED's?

Thaddaeus

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have read and read but the problem is almost all of what I've found is about replacing the actual turn signals with LED's, but what I'd like to accomplish is replacing the turn signal indicators (and oil pressure, neutral) with LED's. I am not so great with wiring (especially modifying) but a project that's been on my mind is replacing the idiot/indicator/warning lights with small LED's. The plan was to do an amber bulb for each turn signal, then a green for neutral and red for oil pressure. What would be the best way to wire this in to the stock wires/plug for the wiring harness? I became confused especially with how to ground all of the LED bulbs. Hopefully this can turn into a nice forum sourced how to thread. :)

The LED's in question
svntog.jpg

The existing wires to the lights
30rv8t3.jpg

Stock warning lights
soo20x.jpg

Here is what inspired it from this Do The Ton thread.
106_6774.jpg

Afaik it isn't really different from doing this with any other bike. There are tons of howtos out there that explain how to do such a mod with a slightly more modern bike (90s). Needs some soldering, rewiring and adding some resisters to get the voltage right. Rest should speak for itself.

A quick Google search gave me this, which is probably a similar way of approach. http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...sily-and-cheapidly-replace-idiots-lights.html

There is a simple option if you get 12v led's they just wire in in place of the old bulbs. You'd have to cut the bulb sockets off and solder in the led's just make sure the polarity is right.

Back