Replacing left side cover

Old Mose

Daily Rider
Reaction score
I need to replace the left engine side cover on my 77 XS400. The manual I have and the ones online don't give a clear picture of what is involved. Can anyone give me pointers on what I need to be extra careful with when changing the parts from one cover to another to avoid damaging something I can't find a replacement for?

Last edited:
Am I thinking of the same side cover? Mine just pops off, It's better to push on the pegs from the back rather than to pull because they tend to break. There are rubber fittings on the frame to get the cover to stay and lock in; that's it.

Ah, so I take it the main cover, not just the tiny round one?

Remove the small round cover first. I believe there are a few small bolts holding the main larger side cover on in there.

Take all the bolts off the main side cover.

Curse a lot because the gasket will likely be very stuck. Be patient and don't try anything drastic.

The stator has a few bolts holding it in place that are accessible once the cover is off. It can be a little annoying to get it out; it has a fairly tight fit and it will be very slippery with oil.

Remove the wires and rubber plug they run through.

When putting it back together I'd use a little gasket sealant wherever the lower engine case splits (on seams) and also around the rubber plug the wires pass through.

If you plan to go further just ask.

Ah, so I take it the main cover, not just the tiny round one?

Remove the small round cover first. I believe there are a few small bolts holding the main larger side cover on in there.

Take all the bolts off the main side cover.

Curse a lot because the gasket will likely be very stuck. Be patient and don't try anything drastic.

The stator has a few bolts holding it in place that are accessible once the cover is off. It can be a little annoying to get it out; it has a fairly tight fit and it will be very slippery with oil.

Remove the wires and rubber plug they run through.

When putting it back together I'd use a little gasket sealant wherever the lower engine case splits (on seams) and also around the rubber plug the wires pass through.

If you plan to go further just ask.

Thanks, I think that's all the info I need. The cover was scuffed when I bought the bike a couple of years ago and I'm refinishing the covers flat black when I change them. I am slowly replacing anything that isn't 100%. I'm a retired auto mechanic and cautious by nature. I don't like to do anything without a full understanding of what I'm getting into. Thanks for your help!

You should post up some photos! :bike: It's always good to have more mechanics around.

Oh, and the only other bit of info you might be interested in (depending on whether you've ever taken the side engine covers off a motorcycle); they usually have locating dowels so they cannot be removed with lateral forces; they must be pulled perpendicularly (straight out). In other words, just don't hit it from the side because it won't do any good.

Too Late. But I had seen the locating dowels in my manual. All went well. Things fit tight as you described, but with a little patience and caution it all worked as expected. No oil leaks and it still charges! I was home alone and my mind is always on what I'm doing. Maybe next time my wife will be around and she can take them as I work. Thanks

Oh I meant take pictures of your bike in general. Not necessarily of the side cover job :)

Oh I meant take pictures of your bike in general. Not necessarily of the side cover job :)

Oh! OK, I've made several changes since I posted one pic in the picture section. Once it gets where it isn't cold in the morning, my 400 is my everyday transportation until winter. Old bones and muscles can't take the cold like they once did!

Back