Riding Video

bcware

Well-read
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So, I tested a camera mount out for my XS400. I made a crappy video and the mount definitely vibrates way too much. If you have a few minutes to kill, check it out. At the very least you can hear what re-packed emgo shorty mufflers sound like. I also get my knee down in a parking lot at the end :laugh:

I am going to try and come up with another solution that mounts to my body. If I come up with something I will post another, hopefully better, video here. :bike:

I know, it's bad! I'm working on the body mount. It's just a cheapo Nikon Coolpix camera. It isn't even made for this kind of video.

sweet yo ,thats bad ass ! thats bcware bad ass ! made me feel like i was actually riding my scooter ! but at the end of the clip i snaped back into reality and realized mine is still in the works aye . im doin it one piece at a time . slowly but surely

Yo man!.... Was I just in a 'dream' sequence?!
Bike sounds tight bro and the shortys sounds like a wooky on crack.
Really like the area you live in.Nice backroad riding highways!

Nice work. I know that sound well. Haven't tried knee dragging, I still have flashbacks of my only accident and back off the agressive riding. You have some great scenery there.

I removed the top of a tripod that came with the camera and bolted it to the clutch lever. Since I have bar end mirrors the hole that a standard mirror screws into is free. The tripod mount bolts through this hole and the camera screws into that mount.

I tried adding a lot of rubber washers to dampen the vibrations, but above 5,000 rpms or so it shakes pretty bad.

Unfortunately this little digital camera does not leave me with many options for mounting. I can't think of a way to attach it to my body. The entire back side is all viewing screen, so I can't even use velcro on the back!

Perhaps I could add some weighted bar ends to further dampen the vibrations. I really didn't want to spend $300 - $400 on a GoPro =\

I was literally doing 15 - 20 mph while knee dragging. It's kind of funny being able to do it at such low speeds. The XS400 is very forgiving in terms of steering and lean angle. I've recovered from some doosies while I was learning. If you're smooth and slightly rolling on the throttle she won't fall over, even at 15 mph!

Here is the video I took that shows the mount.

Turn the audio down if you're using headphones. There are some loud pops when I take a breath for some reason despite the fact that the mic is in the front of the camera.

Here is the video I took that shows the mount.

Turn the audio down if you're using headphones. There are some loud pops when I take a breath for some reason despite the fact that the mic is in the front of the camera.

That is pretty cool...
I think if you could wedge something in between the part that screws into the camera and the bottom part that would remove some of the vibrations...

I think the weight of the camera amplifies the vibration because it's at the top end of the ball mounted shaft...

Good vid. The straights were pretty cool. Kinda trippy. Pretty much the same view many British Columbians have everyday.:smoke:

I didnt know what the shorties would sound like till I got them. Wish someone put in the review wookie on crack. It sounds really good, def gonna repack mine after its running again.:laugh:

I have some ideas for a new mount, but it's too late in the evening to make a run to the hardware store.

I also think the ball joint is a source of vibration, so it is going to be eliminated.

Hi, loved the video. NH looks a lot like WI. Winding roads and no stop signs. But first I have to get out of the city to get there. :(

I have to get out of town as well, but I did edit out the stop-and-go areas. The further north you go the better the roads tend to be in NH. Traffic in town is pretty bad!

Perhaps I could add some weighted bar ends to further dampen the vibrations. I really didn't want to spend $300 - $400 on a GoPro =\

you do know gopro do a sweepstakes everyday to win everything they make :) gopro.com and enter its worth a shot :thumbsup:

Nifty. Probably handy in case of an accident, too. I've seen a case where a dash cam kept a guy out of prison. He was in a car and ran over someone. Two "bystanders" claimed that he just drove too fast and ran down a pedestrian. The victim was in no shape to talk, and wsn't really clear on what happened. The video from the cam showed that one of the "bystanders" actually punched the victim in the face knocking him into the path of the car. IIRC, the "bystander" got prison instead. Don't remember if he got extra for false testimony, but he might have.

Back