Roadtrip breakdown preparation. What do I bring?

SBrokaw

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I bought a 1981 XS400S last Saturday in my hometown but since then I've had to move 100 miles South to Corvallis for Spring term at Oregon State.

I'm going to drive up to pick up the bike Wednesday and I could not be more excited. I could not sleep the night after I bought it and with all that extra free time I read hundreds of threads on this amazing forum.

For the 100 mile trip back down here, what should I be prepared to happen? It should only take about an hour and half but I want to know what tools I should bring and what I should be prepared to do roadside if something bad happens (which I hope won't).

I'm not completely mechanically inept. I've done a lot of work on my E30 so I can handle automotive work. Here's my car.
902374_4043048534194_1739429613_o.jpg

Thanks,
Seamus

Oh, and here's a pic of the bike.
529154_4043046934154_1439822039_n.jpg

Well, I am going to assume that the bike is roadworthy in the condition you purchased it since you plan to ride it back. That being said, it is going to be a gamble, but the risks can be minimized. Was this motorcycle ridden regularly or did it sit? If it was ridden regularly and the previous owner is honest the risk of breaking down is low; 100 miles really isn't very far. I often do 200 miles a day on my xs400 in the summer.

The most efficient tool to bring is a bicycle multi tool. I picked one up locally and it has all of the common metric allen wrenches, box wrenches, spoke wrenches, sockets, and of course phillips and flat head screw drivers. An "extended" tool kit should include a spare tire tube and drive chain tools (if applicable) and possibly some basic electrical tools and accessories.

In my opinion the greatest risk comes from poor gas or dirty carburetors if the motorcycle looks sound mechanically. If there are any issues in this area roadside service can be very difficult.

If you can, have someone available to come get you should the worst happen. I'm sure others can give you their opinions as well.

Oh, and the bike you bought looks extremely clean compared to most that I see. The car looks great as well.

Yeah obviously I won't be able to do a carb rebuild on the side of the road but I will bring screwdrivers, electrical tape, and a socket set.

I was just worried about things the PO could have done to make it ride well on the test ride but would fall apart over a longer trip. Sometimes it's hard to get my mind in the head of a scumbag and think like they would. The owner of this bike didn't seem rude but with my car the guy was a crafty one. The more I work on my car the more I curse his name!

Thanks for the ideas.

There isn't a whole lot that can be hidden during a short test ride, but it is possible to miss problems. My xs400 can take something like 20 minutes to really reach a peak, stable temperature.

If the valves were out of adjustment the bike may run well when cold, but have issues at peak operating temperature.

If the charging system is faulty the bike can run for quite a while on the battery before it fully discharges.

Certain oil leaks may not become apparent until the engine is run for an extended period of time.

This is just what I thought of off the top of my head. If you did have a nice test ride I think you'll be just fine. It never hurts to prepare, however.

Thanks BC. I'll update this thread after I get the bike down here and say how it went.

Fuses, spare brake light bulb, spark plugs, the tools required for these, a Swiss Army Knife, nylon wire ties, duct tape, a rag and some waterless hand cleaner. And cash!

If you are prepared, you probably won't need anything. If you are not, well... ;)

Ah I didn't think about zip ties and spark plugs. Can I buy motorcycle spark plugs at Autozone or Napa? Also, why cleaner and a rag?

I also rode my XS home after purchasing it about 80 miles from my home. Not a great story.

First, the bike ran fine on the test drive. The PO said it doesn't start that well, but after it warms up a bit it comes to life. He hadn't really used it much for about a year. After stalling three times on the highway (which are quite dangerous here in holland) I ended up taking a train back home for the remaining 75 miles. Came back two days later (at daylight and less traffic) and after 30 minutes of trying it ran sort of smoothly. Rode about 65 miles in little over an hour when I stopped to warm up (it was just a little over freezing), I came out of the gas station and my front tire was flat. Ended up having the bike picked up by a local mechanic with a trailer and five weeks later it was home with a fresh set of tires (needed those anyways, but still).

Turned out to be very, very dirty carbs which caused the running issues. And yea, the tire.. That's just my luck I guess.

Just make sure you go during the day in not too much traffic. Bring some basic tools, tape and zip ties. You should drain the fuel bowls of your carbs before taking off, there was a lot of gunk in mine and I think that would have helped enormously.

Spark plugs you can get at lots of locations, just make sure you check your manual for the right specs. Cleaner and a rag are for when you've broken down and end up with black fingers, you might want to clean those a little before going back in your gloves.

Good luck!

5 weeks for a tire change? Or did he do all the carb work also?

Crappy story but thanks for the advice. I'm making a list of things to pack my backpack with.

Could have done it faster but he ordered the tires from overseas, cheaply but slowly. Also it stood there for two weeks in the snow waiting for the weather to improve (I meant to fix it myself) before I had it picked up.

Make sure you put something like a hard plastic binder on your backside of your backpack if you're taking stuff like screwdrivers. In case you fall you don't want those things sticking in your back. You could also think about taping/strapping your stuff to the buddy seat, safer and also a little more comfortable.

Auto club road service card is the easiest to carry. :D For me it is relatively inexpensive because I have it as an add on to my service for my car, truck, & RV.

I also carry a cheap spark plug wrench and a little wire brush with me for cleaning the plugs. If a plug fouls due to carb. problems a quick cleaning is often enough to get you home.

Ah I didn't think about zip ties and spark plugs. Can I buy motorcycle spark plugs at Autozone or Napa? Also, why cleaner and a rag?

Will you be breaking down close to Autozone or NAPA? Or a garage? Or will the bad things happen in the most inconvenient place? :shrug:

A rag and waterless hand cleaner are real helpful for getting oil, grease and grime off your hands, before you put them inside your expensive gloves or grab the grips and make them all slippery. :laugh:

In 44 years on the road, 28 with me driving, I have only been stranded by accidents. Breakdowns have only caused delays. And I've helped many a stranded motorist along the way.

Prepare for the worst (that you can deal with) and hope for the best and you will be fine!

Make sure you put something like a hard plastic binder on your backside of your backpack if you're taking stuff like screwdrivers. In case you fall you don't want those things sticking in your back. You could also think about taping/strapping your stuff to the buddy seat, safer and also a little more comfortable.

Morbid thought. I admit I hadn't thought of that.

Will you be breaking down close to Autozone or NAPA? Or a garage? Or will the bad things happen in the most inconvenient place? :shrug:
Well yeah, I planned on buying them in advance haha. I was going to end up buying them anyway so when I first get the bike I can do a fluid and plug change to freshen things up.

Thanks for all the thoughts and stories. Only one long day of school until I go pick it up and begin my motorcycling career.

... For the 100 mile trip back down here, what should I be prepared to happen? It should only take about an hour and half but I want to know what tools I should bring and what I should be prepared to do roadside if something bad happens ... Thanks, Seamus
Make sure the wind is from the west so you are always upwind of Mt. St. Helens.
If it was me, I would stay off I-5 and stick to the back roads and stay under 60 mph. Stop at every coffee shop and check the sight-glass for oil level. Carry a spare quart of oil (NOT car oil though) and your AAA card.

Based on my own purchase last year, I would assume that any gunk that might be in your gas tank will wait until you are in the middle of nowhere and then try and plug up your carbs. So, before even starting the bike, I would install a $2 in-line fuel filter. That way if the carbs are clean enough for the bike to start and run, they will stay that way for 100 miles. My PO had the carbs in good shape and I'm convinced the filter kept them that way - 12,000 kms later and I have not had to do any service or adjustments to them.

Make sure the wind is from the west so you are always upwind of Mt. St. Helens.
If it was me, I would stay off I-5 and stick to the back roads and stay under 60 mph. Stop at every coffee shop and check the sight-glass for oil level. Carry a spare quart of oil (NOT car oil though) and your AAA card.

Based on my own purchase last year, I would assume that any gunk that might be in your gas tank will wait until you are in the middle of nowhere and then try and plug up your carbs. So, before even starting the bike, I would install a $2 in-line fuel filter. That way if the carbs are clean enough for the bike to start and run, they will stay that way for 100 miles. My PO had the carbs in good shape and I'm convinced the filter kept them that way - 12,000 kms later and I have not had to do any service or adjustments to them.

I had considered taking HWY 99 down but I've never driven that way and might get lost. My phone has GPS so I could stop every once and a while and see that I'm still on track.

The fuel filter is definitely one mod I was going to do immediately. What size (ID and OD) of fuel line do I need or is it pretty universal? If it's the same size as on a car I have lots of spare hose I could use.

Take a can or two of fix a flat ,bring a roll of duct and or elctric tape.Your basic metric wrench set.spare plugs and can of eether.A portable GPS would be good also

I had considered taking HWY 99 down but I've never driven that way and might get lost. My phone has GPS so I could stop every once and a while and see that I'm still on track. The fuel filter is definitely one mod I was going to do immediately. What size (ID and OD) of fuel line do I need or is it pretty universal? If it's the same size as on a car I have lots of spare hose I could use.
:laugh: I had assumed you lived in Scappoose since Google Maps says that Scappoose to Corvallis (via Forest Grove and McMinnville is exactly 100.0 miles. lol
As I recall, the fuel line on mine was 1/4" as were the filter nipples. Same filter as can be used on a lawn tractor and available at lots of retail places. The one I bought was less than $3 taxes included and had raised ring scales which prevented the line from slipping off. I never bothered with ring clips and had no problem.
One thing to avoid if buying a new length of fuel line is the really cheap tubing which may be attacked by ethanol. Make sure it is rated for ethanol gasoline. In my case, I simply removed ~ 1" of the existing line (closer to the petcock fitting than to the carb fitting) and shoved the filter in to the gap.

Attachments

• fuel filter.JPG
    fuel filter.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 384
Back