Roadtrip breakdown preparation. What do I bring?

:laugh: I had assumed you lived in Scappoose since Google Maps says that Scappoose to Corvallis (via Forest Grove and McMinnville is exactly 100.0 miles. lol

Close. I live in Hillsboro. It's 98 miles from Corvallis if I take I-5.

Close. I live in Hillsboro. It's 98 miles from Corvallis if I take I-5.
But only 78 miles via Newburg and past a national wildlife refuge! :bike: Just don't forget the duct tape and a fishing rod!
Welcome to the Forum by the way. Your bike looks wonderful - if your PO looked after the insides as well as the outside you should be in great shape. How many miles on it?

But only 78 miles via Newburg and past a national wildlife refuge! :bike: Just don't forget the duct tape and a fishing rod!
Welcome to the Forum by the way. Your bike looks wonderful - if your PO looked after the insides as well as the outside you should be in great shape. How many miles on it?

8100 miles on the odometer. I'm looking forward to taking the scenic route.

I've drove to Newberg in my car a few times and that drive is incredible. Those are the best roads around my area besides Skyline and Germantown.

8100 miles on the odometer. I'm looking forward to taking the scenic route...
Wow. It's practically brand new! Lucky you.
With so few miles on it, it's doubtful it was driven every one of its 32 years and put away properly each and every winter - so rust dust could be an issue without that in-line fuel filter.
Another caution with so few miles on the bike: It is possible that both tires could be 32 years old. Last year, I looked at a beautiful little '80 Twinstar with original tires that still had over 50% tread.
Check the date codes on the tires - if they are 32 yrs old, I would be reluctant to ride it home 78 miles even on the scenic route. If not, let 'er rip.

Wow. It's practically brand new! Lucky you.
With so few miles on it, it's doubtful it was driven every one of its 32 years and put away properly each and every winter - so rust dust could be an issue without that in-line fuel filter.
Another caution with so few miles on the bike: It is possible that both tires could be 32 years old. Last year, I looked at a beautiful little '80 Twinstar with original tires that still had over 50% tread.
Check the date codes on the tires - if they are 32 yrs old, I would be reluctant to ride it home 78 miles even on the scenic route. If not, let 'er rip.

The tires were both put on after I bought the bike (It was a requirement for my purchase) and he replaced the battery too with a fresh one. When I get it down here I'll give the carbs a good once over and the tank as well. I'm hoping for the best but without knowing the entire history...

This is why I swore I would only buy newer bikes and cars from now on. Too many bad experiences with my car but I dig the '80s Japanese bikes so I got suckered in. I'll just tell myself, "ok NEXT thing I buy will be newer. This time I really mean it."

I think we're all pretty jealous of your mileage. I think as long as you makes sure your fluids are alright you can rely on this bike for a long long time. Perhaps even more than a 00's bike. Did you check the brake pads for wear as well? Would be a bummer if you end up without them on the way. Although with 8100 miles the originals should still be fine, kind of depends on where the PO rode it.

Don't forget to check the break hose. They get older independent of the milage.

And maybe you should know how to set up the contact breakers. Not a big deal but it helps a lot if you know what you are doing.

PS: Most of the (very few) problems I had were caused by broken wires... :-(

The guy at the shop forgot to order my new battery. DOH! Oh well. I'm disappointed but it will be better for me to pick it up this weekend anyway. That way it gives me some time to see my family and work on the bike where I have way more tools.

I just hope the weather holds up.

Back