Same old Same old not working

MrYeats

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I must be snakebit. I know this is not rocket science. Coil to points/condenser, coil to 12v lead. Points set, now n again, no voltage from secondary in coil coil gets hot, no spark. Is suicide an option, I am getting SO tired of this BS,
In my younger days, I put more coils, points, and condensers together than I can count. WHY is this just not working???AAAAHHHHH!!!

Not sure if this will make any difference but are you using a points harness and charging system to do this or the stock tci one that came with the bike. I know the points charging system has an extra wire in it to run points.

Maybe I have been out of the loop for too long, but I don't know about the charging system other than this is an 81 originally a TCI now converted to points. Original charging system in place but I ran all the wiring and did not notice any extra wire. The points plate has wires for it. Two wires, one for each side. White wire right and red wire left.

Here is some pics of my 79 that has points maybe it can help. I know how the wire are attached make a difference on grounding. Also a pic of a points 4 wire charging and a tci 3 wire setup. That fourth wire is there for a reason on the points model bikes but what I don't know:shrug:

Attachments

• DSC02362.jpg
    DSC02362.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC02363.jpg
    DSC02363.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC02364.jpg
    DSC02364.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC02365.jpg
    DSC02365.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 275
charging won't affect the points, in fact I jury rigged the ignition without any charging present to check it worked.

12v to coils
negative output from coils to condensors and contacts
HT wire to sparks plugs
that's it, simple

earthing plugs, is done by touching the plug to engine in order for the spark to occur

I have done all these things. Now the diagnosis is that the NEW coils from MIKES XS get 12v to positive side and no voltage coming out the neg side. Coil overheats.For one brief moment, the voltage goes thru, then stops, overheats. The first set of the new black coils did the same thing. I feel they are peddling a far inferior product.

mmm, thats how coils work, they do heat up as the coil inside gets the juice flowing through it.

the coil earthing is then disconnected (points do that) then the field produced jumps into the secondary coil as its the shortest way to the earth, (thats why the plugs need to be earthed)

if you understand all that and you have no other earth leak (condensor will to a certain extent but its resistance makes it easier to jump to the spark plug), then you have an issue with the condensor or coils.

not much more i can say really

Back