So, now that you've got your bike DONE...

FUBAR

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My builds going a bit slow, but it has been cool watching all these bikes come to completion over the last year or so.

Just a question for you..

Now that you've got your bike and its mostly put back together or finished, if you could do it all again would you choose a different species of XS to create?

Im currently building a hardtailed chopper sorta straight line cruiser, but seeing guys like oledoc, drewpy, frwinks bike complete, i wanna build those styles next -boardtracker & Flat trackers.

(nice job guys :bike: :thumbsup:)

agreed with ya FUBAR
street tracker
or
a really low swingarm chopper. angled swingarm relocated shocks with a 21 inch front. like 2 inches of ground clearence lol. i mocked ut up with my 125. looks really raw. ill probably go that route tho

I put around 5K on my bike last season, now I'm on version 2. Keeping the same overall "look" but with a few twists that I never got around on v 1.
With Travis' new frame jig the xs evolution might end on version2:laugh:...one can get into a lot of trouble with that thing:bike:

In the first few months when I got mine, I wasn't sure what I wanted to build, I knew I'm gonna do ground up but is it going to be bob or tracker or something else, I didn't know.. Late this fall I chose cafe route and I am not regretting it a bit. When it comes to small cc cafes I think it has the best possible frame to begin with (not like those small Hondas with sheet metal boxed frames, horrible).

I know mine is not DONE yet, which means I could still makes changes if I wanted to, but the fact is I wouldn't change anything (and that's pretty rare for me).

Sander

my tracker came from the left over bits from my show bike. I had alreay built up a knowledge base of all things XS so it was fairly straight forward for me except the custom bits which were really interesting.

I'm currently building a 50c Gilera of 1970 vintage

hey Fubar did you notice the guy on Edmonton Kijiji that had a 650 parts bike and a 79 xs1100 for sale for $600 for the pair.. my first is not even done and I already wish i had the 1100 just from a power perspective.. we will see.. the 400 has a little snap and is so light.. I am not sure how it will be on the highway but on my dirt road in from of my house I am happy so far. I can see wanting more after a year or so.

I have my 400 almost together now.. brat/bobber style waiting for a warm enough day for painting and a couple tweaks.. like fork dust covers, new rear tire, Seat is in the mail.. mounting a new tail light. Hope to have it on the road in the next month or so..

lets see a couple snaps of that new project drewpy

and nope i havent been watching kijiji too closely, trying not start yet another project before old ones are finished.

ya I know the feeling .. I started with 2 for my son and I (spring project) somehow a 3rd ended up in my garage.. pretty good shape other than needing valve seals.. we will see how these two come out first before deciding what to do with the 3rd.. (girlfriend bike?) or selling one of the 3 bobbers and keeping the best two? we will see.

agreed with ya FUBAR
street tracker
or
a really low swingarm chopper. angled swingarm relocated shocks with a 21 inch front. like 2 inches of ground clearence lol. i mocked ut up with my 125. looks really raw. ill probably go that route tho

I like your style. Although im only at 4 inches of ground clearance and I have to be super careful when I ride so I can't imagine anything lower.

If I had to do mine over again I would do a single backbone/hardtail.

It's funny, maybe I just don't like labels, but I'm not sure I get this question.

I mean, my vision for my bike has a brat tail, but clip-ons and an empty frame like a cafe. I'm thinking of a bare metal tank with pennies (a little bit of alt-moto, a little bit of rat bike) and blacked out wheels and engine mounts.

I'll have to reflect on this question again when it's done, but I'm not building to fit a style - I'm building to fit me. And when I'm done, I can't imagine doing it again, differently...

well I am of the mind do one bike stock classic, then find a bastardized fixer upper to go crazy on.(whats up Drewpy?)
If I had skillz I would build a monster fat, low, compact naked/street fighter vintage xs1100 with a touch of classic bobber look. A bike that made HD's pull there skirts up and run.I dont know exactly what I mean but low, and fat,bulky but compact..... and B.A.!!
I saw potential in that kid putting GXR front end on his XS400.
Around here, OC-So Cal, those big HD's,Superbikes and sport bikes are top of the food chain.Would love to pull up to them and give 'em a wink and a smile:wink2:

I like your style. Although im only at 4 inches of ground clearance and I have to be super careful when I ride so I can't imagine anything lower.

If I had to do mine over again I would do a single backbone/hardtail.

my 125 doesnt have a title. so its gonna be a pit bike for when we go to the strip. and yeah 3 inches might be a little to low. lol
yeah ill probably end up doing that in winter (single backbone). my ride hight is like 5 and a half. so i can hop curbs. :)

lets see a couple snaps of that new project drewpy

and nope i havent been watching kijiji too closely, trying not start yet another project before old ones are finished.

not much to see yet, still collecting parts and some frame repairs. Its for my son who will be 16 january so not too rushed ATM

If I could go back, I would have started with a 650. Besides that though, I started off a bit alternative cafe but am turning it into more brutish which was my original goal.

yeah some good answers there. maybe i should have re-phrased the question, if you did another xs how would you do it.

- i dont think i would do anything differently to the current one , maybe just do it a second time with fresh ideas

Back