solenoid

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Well, I guess I did something dumb again. Have an 80 xs400 special. Cleaned up the starter hooked it back to the solenoid and tried to push the ignition to see if it would spin. Problem was the starter was sitting on the fram. When I pushed the button nothing happened. When I turned off the ignition I heard a discharge of elec. and something burning. Now the solenoid won't even click. All lights and accessories work fine. Did I just burn up the solenoid. I have another one. Thank you for all of your help, have a great day!

need to run a multimeter on it to check continuity.

energising a starter just sitting on the frame is asking for trouble. them things are really powerful and will leap off the ground no problem

Which parts of solenoid do I check? Also, could it have done any other damage? Thank you very much Drewpy. You have great knowledge of these bikes/ Have a grea day!

continuity check on both larger terminals and the smaller ones. run 12v to the small ones and you shoulh ear a click and with a multimeter on the larger ones, there should be continuity

continuity check on both larger terminals and the smaller ones. run 12v to the small ones and you shoulh ear a click and with a multimeter on the larger ones, there should be continuity

Tx alot for all the help. Do you think I could have done any other damage? Have a great day!

Okay, well I hooked up the new starter. Hit the ign button. Nothing. I am going to do elec tests on wires tonite. Question is, does anyone think I burned a wire? Or, is it more likely I fried the solenoid? All fuses check OK. Tx alot, have a great day!

Ok, there will be two terminals on the solenoid. Turn on the ignition, then touch your tongue to both terminals and let me know what happens.

Hi, would anyone have a pic of a properly installed solenoid? Whoever had this before jerry rigged it somehow. Can;t firgure out proper connection. Tx alot, have a great day!

Back