Starter button problem after new bars

Gzus308

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swapped out the bars from the stock to the no drag black painted bars. Knew the starter button was grounded thru the bars and the paint would inhibit electrical flow so I filed the paint under the controls to bare metal. The button works when the whole unit is exactly level on the bars, but when I try to tweak it to where it will be for a comfortable stance the button stops working. The bars are filed down all the way around on both contact points and I even tried putting aluminum foil in there to hopefully increase conductivity. The other funny part is that it'll work in that position if one of the connecting bolts is loose, but both fully tight and it doesn't...

Thoughts?

As strange as it seems, just all the bolts to make sure that they arent coated in paint or even just grime. Then check your wires to make sure you arent arcing somewhere and its just giving you a ghost in the system. I have had this happen a few times with different parts, on to realize something is lacking proper connection, or missing a grommet to keep from connecting and arcing.

Its something simple, just gotta look carefully and find it

My thought is that the switch does not ground through the bars. The bars don't actually have direct contact with the rest of the bike. There are very large rubber bushings in the triple tree where the bar clamps are held on designed to reduce vibrations. There is no metal to metal contact past this point.

The starter button only has one wire to it so where would it ground if not the bars? And I checked with the old bars by attaching the control unit to them and touched the other end to the forks and it started up just fine. And the bolts are brand new.

If your switch doesn't work when you rotate it the problem is likely a loose wire or connection. You're turning the switch and bending/pulling the wire; that's likely your problem.

The starter switch assembly on the bars does have more than one wire coming from it, but it's not necessarily a ground. The bundle of wires is wrapped in a black protective sheath.

I don't know how the switch grounds; the diagram doesn't make it clear and I don't have an electric start. All I know is that the bars don't come into contact with metal past the clamps.

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400e-1978_model8666/partslist/D-09.html#results

#12 represents the bushings I was talking about. You can take a look on yours closely. I have taken it apart many times; no metal to metal contact. :shrug:

You can see in the attached photo as well; the big bushings make a gap between those giant washers, the clamp, and the triple tree.

Attachments

• $T2eC16Z,!zQE9s3stvRlBRbue)S(7!~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16Z,!zQE9s3stvRlBRbue)S(7!~~60_12.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 378
Sometimes BC that can be the problem. If those bushings are worn at all, and there is any metal to metal contact it can create an arc and short the system. It sounds strange, I know. i had the same problem with other things like this too.

Check all your other switches too and make sure that everything works. The problem could be larger than you think, but still very simple

The ground comes from the other switch on the left hand side. You need to remove paint from both switches to get a ground. This is why most bikes with an e-start have chrome bars.

Thanks XSChris! That was the issue. Filed the paint down under the left controls and fired right up! Thanks for all the help!!

Hmm, then I wonder what I did when I removed my switches to replace the levers? I assumed that I pulled too hard and made a wire disconnect somewhere...

More than likely you poulled the plug from the controls on right hand side where it plugs into the harness.I just found this out yesterday and its probably what happen to me when I put my new bars on.Also make sure your controls are grounding through the bars by sanding the paint off.

hello, please help me .... I have a similar problem, unlike that I have no electronic ignition, I had stock handlebars, and I put a clip ons, after that my system went crazy and no way of the motorcycle lights, the lights do not work. My clip ons are chrome, then I assume I should not be placed under the command ribbon, Thisis so?? and what about the fork, the clip ons are on it, but I put the bar tape will not scratch, that's a problem?? I think it's the same problem I had Gzus308, but the only difference I use the right command, with command of light and kill system, can you help me??
Sorry for my bad English

Sounds right that the tape is the issue. Just make sure there is metal to metal contact to complete the circuit for the controls

Back