starter, clutch, or??

raptorxs400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
engine is from 79-82 xs400 installed in my raptor.

I noticed after I did all the wiring and got it running that the starter takes forever to actually turn thr moto. it just spins and spins and then slowly grab n turns the motor, which is wreaking havok ok my battery. so I decided to pull start it and when I get up to a slow role, I pop into first n let off the clutch....but instead of turning the motor it just drags n then it will catch and fires right up.

it wasnt until today I pulled the starter n side casings and realized the starter is on a chain and sprocket system...so its not the starter.

what could it be? My brother rode it yesterday and said if you pop the clucth to pull a wheelie it slips. but I dont ride it rough so ive never noticed it.

so if it is the clucth that doesnt explain why the starter just spins and then catches.

any ideas about why it feels like it slips when I pull start it or why the starter takes forever to catch motor?

so I did some more digging on the forums and jcwhitney.com (seems to be the only one with new parts) and im possibly facing 2 different problems. a slipping clutch and a bad starter clutch.

so im gonna go put my starter n chain back on n hit start n see if its gonna spin the crank. because ive heard no "Noises" that anyone speaks of when they have a bad starter clutch. (which by the way just found out these engines use one.)

now this wouldnt bother me so much if my kickstart was useable. remember this motor is installed on a raptor so the kickstart hits the plastics and exhaust when iwhen I try to use it. I may end up trimming some plastic and moving and exhaust pipe.

And so I just found out are major PIA to take apart and fix.:mad:
PIA? And i did notice a "noise" but it was because i had the cover off. n the problem looks to be the caps n springs...but i won't be able to tell till i pull it off...more money yay
:banghead: i guess the plus side to this, i pulled both engine covers and the chain cover cleaned them spotless and I'm gonna paint them so they look good. i would polish them but to muxh marks on them for that.

Posted via Mobile

PIA = Pain in the ass:yikes:
Mine is going out and I have my altenator cover off today cause Im adjusting valves.It so dam muggy today:banghead: I don't feel like digging into it.

The weathers weird today. its cold breeze but the suns hot lol. i think I'm gonna go buy some high temp paint n paint my covers n put the stator and cover back on. but I'm probably gonna pull my clutch out and order a new one. works but its probablt 30 years old lol. or ill order a cap n spring kit for the starter clutch. all depends on my enthusiasm and money today lol.:D

Posted via Mobile

Do these clutch disks look ok? Never seen them before so I'm clueless.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• CAM00102.jpg
    CAM00102.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 330
They still ave linings on them with grooves so they will work for a while,since you got it apart,if you got the cash why don't you replace them or at the very least replace the ones that have pieces missing from the linings.

More likely the springs are the problem. Your repair manual should have a spec for how thick the fiber plates should be.
Leo

This web page has the Manual in "The Garage" listed as Sticky Yamaha XS400 Manuals. That has all the wisdom needed to do anything. (however there is known bad info, Float height) Those of us been on here long enough, might think your problems could be due to bad oil in the case. This week at Menards I just bought the Shell Rotella T 15w-40 for about 11 bucks, because of there 15% bag sale this week, (normally 12.97 at walmart, with price matching) Alot of people have put in any oil sitting around the garage, then they have slipping clutch, and such. Now that you can look at the clutch plates, springs. I did replace both of those this spring. If you look up rotella on the top of the webpage, you can find all the symptoms of bad oil, and how the right oil fixes alot of problems. Seems to need to be flushed a few times to get all the remaining oils out of there, and a new oil filter, which can be found on a quick Google search, (Oriellys automotive website, Mills fleetfarm, Google will tell you the rest...)

Back