Starter / kill switch wire questions

Keenzo

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I'm rewiring my bike and I want to keep my electric starter. I want to move my starter push button from my handle bars/ kill switch unit to a stand along push button on the side of my frame and eliminate the kill switch all together example:
my problem is there are 3 wires coming from the starter/kill switch unit and I don't know how to rewire the stand along button in only. Here's are what colours and where my wires go

BLUE Wire: Goes from starter push button in handle bar unit to starter Relay

Brown Wire: goes from kill switch, switch and connects to fuse box (10Amp) witch than leads from fuse box to ignition key

RED WITE Wire: Goes from the kill switch, switch and is spliced into a 2nd red and white wire that is connecting Ignition coils to starter relay

My question is what colour and what wire is the ground wire and completes the ground circuit for the electric start? also how do I eliminate my kill switch unit all together? I am putting in a new fuse box so don't worry about fuse placement

And NO I'M NOT REMOVING MY ELECTRIC STARTER :yikes: I work nights in BC Canada and I am going to have to start my bike in temperatures going down into the -2 or more!

Found this starter diagram for a Honda CB but Yamaha's have an extra wire http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=33305.0

The starter button grounds through the switch housing to the bars from the bars through a ground wire to the harness.
So to connect a different starter button just run the blue/white wire to the button and hook the button to any good frame ground.
On the "kill" switch, just trace the wires back into the headlight bucket and cut then off just before the wire connector. Bare the wires and just splice them together. Heat shrink tubing to cover them.
The same applies to any switches.
Personally having the "kill" switch very close to your right thumb for ease of use comes in very handy in an emergency. Like if you go down with the bike on you, fuel leaking out. It's nice to have a "kill' switch right where you can find it.
Leo

my 81 xs400 i bought recently, didnt come with a electric start anyone know where i can purchase one or make one? thank you in advance

I'm not as well versed on the XS400 starter system as some others.
I think the starter runs a chain that spins a clutch that spins the engine.
Look it up at an online parts seller like boats.net Yamaha has a parts look up.
Find your bike by year and model. Study the parts fiche to determine what you have and what's missing.
Once you determine what you need, start shopping around. Ebay, Craigslist, On here Local salvage yards, You might even have to find a parts bike, which isn't a bad idea, gives you aces to a lot of parts.
Leo

I replaced with a button and just got rid of the solenoid all together , I ran the ground that comes from the starter to one post then the other from the battery positive to the other post works everytime .

Back