Starter Relay Wiring

ChrisValentine

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I purchased the lawnmower version of the starter relay from Sears. 4 posts.

I installed it but its not working, but I believe its not working since the old one was jumped to the old headlight fuse. I rewired the headlight correctly, so I'm not sure that the jump even would work the way it used to.

My questions are.

1. The two large posts and the two smaller wire terminals. Does it matter which wire goes to wish terminal, or which wire goes to which post? The battery and the starter itself go to the big posts, the kill switch and starter button the other I believe.

2. Using jumper wires on the two smaller terminals, What is the easiest way to make a smaller circuit just so I can test that the relay is working? or is there such a way?

Thanks.

positive and neg (ground) to each small post (not sure which way round) and you should hear a hefty click as the solinoid shunts the heavy duty switch over.

the large connectors are the "pathway" to the starter motor. (in vernacular terms)

wired like this (see pic) Chris the 12v+ can be from the battery but for your year/model usually came from kill switch that also powered safety relay, light checker,

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 6,405
Few question, I trying to figure out how to rewire my starter so its just push button start . (I removed the kill switch unit on my bike)

1 where does the red wire go to from the starter solenoid?

2 what are the grey blocks ?

Thanks jayel for the diagram to!

The grey blocks are the connectors. On your relay there is a red/white wire and a blue/white wire. Run the red/white to power after the main switch. Run the blue/white to the starter push button.
This is the most basic relay wiring. I don't recommend this for day to day use. I recommend wiring in the safety relay. The safety relay stop the starter from working when the engine is running.
The safety relay gets tripped when the alternator starts to make power, some of this power gets sent to the safety relay. This trips the relay as the engine starts. No matter how fast your thumb is it's not as fast as the safety relay.
This prevents damage to the parts that link the starter to the crank.
Leo

Back