Stock handlebar size?

ricky277d

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I bought a 81 xs400 special and it came with flat bar's on it. I'm 6' talk and it kills my back so I'm looking to get higher bar's but I can't find anything on the rise of the stock bar's so I can buy new ones with using stock cables. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

I bought a 81 xs400 special and it came with flat bar's on it. I'm 6' talk and it kills my back so I'm looking to get higher bar's but I can't find anything on the rise of the stock bar's so I can buy new ones with using stock cables. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it.
968730800d40c3776f71d195e4d89cf8.jpg

Looks like a nice aftermarket superbike bar you have there... If you remove it you can sell it easily.

If you want to go with stock bars, there were 2 types. One was really big, like chopper bars. The other is a few inches higher than what you have on there now and may be more comfortable. They came on the 2A2 models in europe. I don't know if they came on bikes that were here in the US, but I'm sure you can find a set on ebay.

I understand that thanks. But I'm looking for the tallness of the stock bar's in inches so I can get the same size of my style to use stock cables

Well are they the stock 81 length cables? Routed like stock cables? They don't make bars in your current 'style' that go as high as the stock 81 bars, they were ape hangers lol.

I'm confused as to what you are getting at. You want higher bars, but ones that are the same style as your current bars? If someone gives you the height of the stock bars, you will end up with, well, stock bars :shrug:

And don't forget that width and pullback have just as much to do with cable length as rise, so might be a good idea to get those numbers from someone as well

Nice bike. :thumbsup:

The stock bars are still on my '82 special. I can get some measurements later in the day tomorrow.

I'm 6'3", haven't ridden with the stock bars but don't like the look at all.
Planning to have new bars made on a CNC mandrel bender once I decide on dimensions.

Sorry for confusion. I'm trying to get Zbars off ebay. My bike had stock cables on it right now but looks sloppy whith all the excess hanging out by the headlight. The Zbars come in 4" rise 5" rise and 8" rise. I wanna get the 8" rise but I don't know if it will fit with stock cables still there. I searched all over for stock tallness of the handlebars with no luck at all

Are you sure it isn't that crap seat that hurts your back? Higher bars are going to force an upright seating position. In turn all your weight will be centered on a very small area. A slightly forward position shifts some weight to your thighs and off the tailbone.

Are you sure it isn't that crap seat that hurts your back? Higher bars are going to force an upright seating position. In turn all your weight will be centered on a very small area. A slightly forward position shifts some weight to your thighs and off the tailbone.

It hurts his back because he is 6ft tall and has low bars with a stock foot location. If he had rear-sets back further, it offsets the back pain but puts more on the wrist. He knows what he is doing, going with higher bars will make for a more comfortable ride.

Do you have a place near you that works on dirt bikes and ATV's?
If so take your bike there and talk to them. I had a set of bars on my bike like yours, I stopped by a local place and showed them what I had and that I wanted some a bit higher and wider.
He looked around and came up with a set of an ATV that were higher and wider. They are much better than the ones I had.
Leo

The bars on my SJ are about a 6" rise.
If the 8" Z bars don't sweep back as much as stock you might be ok with stock cables.

Back