Stock swingarm stretch

frwinks

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
The idea was bounced around lately by a few members, and since this was on my "to do" list, I snapped a few extra pics of the process.
First thing to do is to make a spacer for the arms, mine was right at 7.5". I used a setup I use to press headsets on MTB frames. Long threaded bolt, nut and some bigass washers. Notice the 1/4" plate under the front of the swingarm. This is to keep the swingarm halves on the same plane. This particular swinger needed 1/4". The whole assembly is mounted on 3/8" plate.
003-2.jpg

Chopped, drilled and chamfer'ed. The rossett holes are 7/16"
010.jpg

The stock tubes are 1 1/4" 1/16" wall, so I used the same material for the sleeve cut to 2 7/8". For the slug, I used 1 1/8", .120wall DOM for a tight press fit.
023-3.jpg

By now, you're prolly wondering why I cut the sleeve to 2 7/8" for a 3" stretch:doh:
Note the 1/16" gap on each side between the stock tubes and the sleeve. This allowed me to burn the .120 wall DOM tubing which can take more heat than the scrawny 1/16" stock tubing:D
030-3.jpg

034-1.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for a test fit
001-1.jpg

3" over stock, was just what this bike needed. :bike:
010-1.jpg

Well crafted. It really changed the bikes overall look.

Uuh, you guys with those /// and " " " ...

sure, just cover the shipping/materials/time :wink2: I'm thinking $60-80 plus shipping:shrug:
I haven't figured out the chain length yet, my new shocks came in yesterday and it looks like another frame rework is on order:D

Back